Thursday, December 26, 2019

Check the Weather

the weather can change very quickly in the mountains



When I took the Wrightwood hiking safety course a few months ago, the teacher recommended that we check the weather report before leaving.  This is such good advice!  I have saved myself  a few unsafe situations by looking up the  forecast online before piling everything in my car and heading up to the mountains.

We had a storm over Christmas that brought us a lot of much needed rain and snow.  Unfortunately, many people were stranded in their cars, on the side of the freeway, unprepared.  Californians aren't used to having this kind of weather on a regular basis.  We are usually spoiled with sunshine year round.

If you research and plan, you can make your trip when the roads are clear.  (at least where I live.)  It's wise to have chains, warm clothing, a flashlight, umbrella, and plenty of food and water, too.  I keep my snow boots with me, as well. 


It was a huge shock for me over Thanksgiving when I realized that the first big snow had left wet, white powder that reached all the way up to my hip bones!  It came down very quickly, overnight.  Fortunately, I had plenty of food in my stockpile, firewood, and a sturdy shovel.  I have a very long driveway, so it took several  hours to clear a path from the doorway to my car.  It was all uphill.  Now I know what to expect.

How is the weather where you are!  Do you have plenty of supplies if you get snowed in or have an emergency?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

16 comments:

  1. This is such sound advice, Stephanie, when you live in or visit an area which can experience unpredictable weather. Sadly, in Australia at the moment, there is widespread drought and bushfires on an unprecedented scale. We know that there is the possibility of bushfire where we live, we keep trees trimmed back and gutters clear and know exactly what to do and what to take should we need to evacuate here. You do have to be prepared because in emergency situations there is often little time to think before you have to act. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I know what you mean about the fires. We have them here, too. Everything that you are doing makes a huge difference. As the old saying goes, "It's better to be safe than sorry." I am so thankful for this rain and snow. It makes all of the difference in the earth and quality of the soil.

      Delete
  2. We sure do. How nice you are getting some moisture after the past few fire seasons down there, I'm sure it's more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a relief, LL. It really helps during fire season. We are very grateful.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! That is an enormous amount of snow! Our weather cannot be trusted here either (but so far not that much snow!) Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Yes, it was a shock. I love it, though. (As long as I'm prepared.) Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. I heard on the news, today, about the road closure on I-5 near the Grapevine and all the vehicles and people stranded on the road for hours! We had a lot of rain where I live and some intersections and roadways were flooded, but, I got home safely from my cousin's house. I do have a stockpile of food and water and other emergency supplies, but, I must remember to keep some food and water in the car if I plan to travel longer distances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Yes, it was unsafe to travel on certain roads, in my opinion. I stayed home. I'm glad that you made it home safely.

      Delete
  5. It was very wise of you to take the safety course so that you are aware how to be prepared both at the cabin and when you're out and about.
    I never venture out on the mountains when the weather is bad, it's not worth the risk. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, Yes, the mountains, especially are extremely risky. I have read books about hikers found dead from falling or freezing to death. I don't think people realize what a risk it is. I agree with you. I am much more cautious as I get older.

      Delete
  6. Good for you to be prepared! I was thinking of you and wondering if you were going to be driving through the snow this week. We had over 3 inches of rain at our house and the mountains surrounding San Diego are covered in snow. It is a beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I bet it looks gorgeous. There is snow on the mountains in Canyon Country, too. It's such a sight to see. I check carefully before driving up to Wrightwood, even though it's only 60 miles. I also listen to my body. There's a certain smell in the air when it's going to snow. Sometimes the news doesn't time it quite right. I prefer to play it safe.

      Delete
  7. I think it is so wise to be prepared. I know that we cannot be ready for every situation but we can at least try to be and then we can cope so much better with whatever is thrown at us. Experience and knowledge hand in hand can be a good way to prepare ourselves. I love being out in really bad weather as long as I know that I am safe and that I can stay safe. When you get to the safety of home it somehow feels extra special, if that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, sustainablemum. It does make you appreciate the security and safety of home. (not to mention the warmth and comfort.)

      Delete
  8. I am so glad you are ready for bad weather and lots of snow. Here in Florida it is much too warm for December. Lovely for those vacationing here but for the rest of us it is too warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mereknits, Yes, I remember Florida being very warm and humid.

      Delete