Thursday, December 5, 2019

Snow From the Cabin Window in Wrightwood, California



Here are some more photos of the snow that we had last week in Wrightwood.  This is what I saw from my window as I sat there knitting.  I didn't realize how much I would enjoy gazing at the snowflakes falling.  There is something so meditative and peaceful about it.  I had a couple of candles lit, and relaxed on the soft couch, knitting my alpaca blanket.  Coffee tastes even better when it's cold and blustery outside.



These branches were heavily laden with white snow.  The ground has such a different look than in the city.  When I lived in New York, the snow would be dirty, and piled up on the streets.  Here it is so soft, pure,  and natural.  I felt like Mrs. Claus at the North Pole.



Since the storm, I have been practicing putting on my new chains.  They are totally different than the ones that I used in Santa Fe, twenty years ago.  These have a circular cable that you slide under the wheel and clip.  I had some trouble at first, but I finally got the hang of it.  The fit is nice and snug.  I ordered the exact size for my make and model of car.  They are made in Italy.  Volkswagons are very good in the snow.  I used to drive a VW Rabbit when I lived in New Mexico.  I put chains on my car there every day. They really make a difference when it's icy.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.
    

  

  

18 comments:

  1. The snow is beautiful, and looks as though it's weighing heavily on the tree branches, although it sounds like you were cosy and warm inside the cabin. I love to watch the snow fall, it's so hypnotic. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Jules. I love watching the flames in the fireplace dance, too. I could sit there for hours...

      Delete
  2. You are painting such a wonderful picture Stephenie. I am tempted to hire a log cabin in Scotland if it snows heavily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds marvelous, Cherie. If you ever come out here, let me know. I think you would love it.

      Delete
  3. I like looking at your pictures. Today is going to be 42C here in Perth Western Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks earthmotherwithin. I like looking at yours, too.

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of snow! I hope this bodes well for our snow pack and we'll avoid another drought this summer! Well done with managing to put on the chains on the tires! I wouldn't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I had to schedule a lesson with my mechanic, and then watched a video on Youtube for a review. Lots of rain today...I love it!

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures, I so agree about the snow. It quietens my soul somehow, atleast if it's not too much and I have to keep digging my car out. I have metal spikes in my tires, the schoolbus has chains. Need that extra grip in winter. Stay safe and enjoy your lovely surroundings. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those metal spikes sound excellent, Pam. I haven't driven with the chains yet. It feels good to be prepared.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful out your windows!! And good for you for being smart enough to put chains on your tires. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I wouldn't want to risk sliding on the icy roads here. They are very narrow.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful snow pictures. I like to think about you and Lula all snug and safe up there. I have never needed to put on chains. Glad to read it was not too difficult for you to do yourself. Is the snow melting with the rain and warming temperatures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, it's melting very fast. Today we had rain. It's wonderful to see the earth soaking up all of this snow and rain. I'm so happy. It should be in the forties next week, and sunny.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos, Stephenie.
    Your cabin sounds wonderful. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Nil. It really is. I adore the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Rue. I love the simple beauty of nature this time of year.

      Delete