Saturday, December 28, 2019

Post Holiday Blues

the Beach Cafe was hopping
 
Yesterday I found out that Jerry Herman died on December 26th.  It made me very, very sad.  Grief stricken, actually.  I absolutely adore his music.  He was such an inspiration to me.  Each time we lose another one of the geniuses from that era I feel a deep sense of loss.  He was 88, the same age my dad was when he died a few months ago.  I just loved the style of musical comedy that he did.  His music made you feel so happy.  I will post some of his theater videos here for you to see.  He was in a class of his own.

clear skies and blue water

I decided to take a drive to Santa Monica, get out in the sunshine, and ride a Breeze bike along the beach.  I figured there wouldn't be anyone out on the ocean path at this time of year.  Boy, was I wrong!  Anyone and everyone was there.  It was packed, but we all cooperated very well.   I felt like cruising through Europe  last month  with over 4,000 people  gave me some good training in dealing with crowds.  At this section it was much lighter.  Venice Beach was intense.

It did me a world of good to get outside and enjoy the ocean breeze.  Lula was happy to experience the change of scenery, and she took a nap in the car.  She seems to enjoy laying out in the sunshine in the backyard, too.  I don't think I would do well in a part of the country that has long, dark winters.  I find it kind of depressing.

strolling down Second Street in Santa Monica

How are you feeling?   Do you experience a post holiday let down?  My mom always did.  She went to so much work  every Christmas.  I just can't believe it now.  She especially dreaded putting away all of her decorations.  She made that house look like Saks Fifth Avenue.  It took her days!  The effect was really exquisite, though.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.   

18 comments:

  1. I don't put the decorations down till the 6th December- the twelfth day of Christmas. If I go to all that effort, I may as well enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the decorations, too, EMW. I take mine down on January 1st.

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, the beach was obviously the place of choice for many people!

    It sounds like your Mom put in a lot of effort to decorate for the holidays. I must have looked wonderful!

    I didn't even decorate this year, but, in the years that I do, I, too, leave everything up until the 6th of January. I enjoy the decorating part - not so much the taking down and putting away! But, I am kind of particular about the putting away part of it, wrapping everything in tissue paper so that they don't break during storage, etc. I like to take my time doing it.

    I don't think I feel any post holiday let down, though. Especially since my daughter is home until after the New Year. Then, once she goes back, there is the house to tidy up and things to put in order. :)

    Wishing you and Lula a very happy New Year, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Santa Monica was a very popular spot yesterday. I'm glad that you had a nice time with your daughter. Happy New Year, Bless.

      Delete
  3. Do you think we get used to the climate where we live being as it is? I was in a hot country for Christmas and New Year last year and it didn't feel quite right to me. I love the dark and cold as a time to rest, to slow down and recharge ready for the busy warmer months.

    We had a quiet Christmas at home as a family, we are ticking along keeping busy doing stuff together and enjoying having husband/daddy at home for an extended period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your time with your family sounds wonderful, sustainablemum. I'm glad that you got to spend time with your husband. I love this time of year, too. Maybe we do get used to the climate where we live. I do need a certain amount of sun. It doesn't have to be hot, as I like the cold.

      Delete
  4. We won't be taking ours down until next weekend. We like to see in the new year with the house looking festive before we take them down. It's an odd time between Christmas and New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Cherie. I plan to feed the citrus trees today. The rain has made such a difference.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos,and you had a beautiful day! The only thing good about gloomy weather, is that it does make you really appreciate sunny days! I'm sad when the holidays end on one hand, yet on another I am ready to clear away decorations and have a more simple, neater home! Sad when people die...if only we didn't grow old! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Andrea, Yes, it is sad when people die. It's part of life, but I think we feel it more intensely on holidays.

      Delete
  6. Wow-the beaches look so wonderful. Steve and I drove to La Jolla to admire the ocean not long ago and the trip and view lifted my soul. We are so lucky to live in Southern California! I am always eager to take down Christmas the day after. I like to get things back to "normal". Like Bless, I am very particular about how the decorations are stored and do it all myself-well except putting the boxes back in the garage cabinet. Someone else in the house is particular about how things are packed away in the garage!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Wow, so you have everything all organized already. Good for you. I bet La Jolla was gorgeous. I love it there.

      Delete
  7. To be honest I felt relief it was all over. IT is just too much! This weekend I have put everything away and cleaned like a mad woman. I don't do spring cleaning I do end of the year cleaning to start the New Year off fresh. Your ride looked so wonderful, bright and sunshiny. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mereknits, It was, thanks. I love that bike share program. It is so worth it. You must feel great, having done all of that cleaning. I am doing some each day. I used to do it all at once. Happy New Year. I always feel relieved when Christmas is over, too. (although I love the carols, spirit, decorations, and food.)

      Delete
  8. We take our tree and decorations and lights down on New Years Day. I love our beach holiday days in the lead up to xmas and always suffer 'withdrawals' from the ocean when it's time to come home. Xmas Day is always lovely and then I enjoy the quieter days after xmas here at home.

    I think I would enjoy a colder Christmas as I feel, where I live in sub-tropical Australia, that we get very few really cold days anymore, even in Winter. Rugging up in snuggly jumpers, sitting around a fire, warm mugs of cocoa sounds quite lovely to me. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I enjoy all of those things, too, Meg. At the cottage, it is just cold enough to need layers and wools sweaters and socks. I don't have to overspend on heating, though. Your beach holiday sounds relaxing and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got a bad migraine the day after Christmas and was sick for several days. It made me a bit depressed because I had planned to do several things around the house. I can be too harsh on myself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that's too bad, Nil. I think Christmas can bring up unresolved grief and emotional pain. I hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete