Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Reading and Relaxing

Both of my parents and my Aunt Mary spent a lot of time reading.  I am grateful for that example.  We would read together.  It's something that I enjoy even more as I get older.  Right now I am at the library, and it's thrilling to see all of the different choices we have when it comes to books.

I just finished  a book about mountain lions.  It discussed the ones that have been tracked here in America.  It was fascinating to compare the stories and to study up on how to handle an encounter.  It reminded me of the dog situation with Lula, when she was attacked. 

Speaking of which, I got a notice from Animal Control.  They had the hearing, and determined that the dogs that mauled her are potentially dangerous dogs.  The owner will have to keep them indoors, or in a very secure kennel.  Signs that say "Dangerous Dogs" will have to be posted on the property, and they are required to wear muzzles when on a leash.  Anyone walking them must be 18 years or older.

It's a relief to have some action taken so that this doesn't happen again.  I still carry pepper spray and a rod iron bar, just in case.  It's important to be prepared.

I am enjoying another book about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, as well as one on aging.  Reading is free, and provides great entertainment.   This afternoon I plan to make a soup with ham hocks, turnips, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and potatoes.  After that I'll do some housework.  What are you cooking and reading these days?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. My uncle just lent a book to me that's the journal of a 1880s woman. I've not yet started it as have been sick the last couple days - first time in years. It's good you are prepared when you go for walks or hiking since you are often alone (well, with Lula, but she can't dial 911.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, LL, but she can bark. haha That book sounds fascinating. I read a lot of journals from that time, as well. People wrote so eloquently in those days.

      Delete
  2. Reading is a great joy in my life my too, Stephanie. I love to go to the library and browse the shelves and choose books to bring home. While on holiday, I have a pile of books with me and I can borrow from the island library too. I am currently reading a book about essential oils and writing down some blends to try. It's something I want to learn more about. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so soothing, Meg. I love essential oils. I haven't used them in a while. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  3. I didn't read a book for several weeks, which is not normal for me at all. I've been reading blogs though. :)

    I spent a lot of time crocheting.

    It's good news about the dogs. I hope the owner will be more careful from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. So far, so good. It's such a beautiful area to walk, especially this time of year. The snow on the mountains is gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. Libraries are exciting places, aren't they? I belong to two - the Los Angeles Public Library and the Burbank Public Library.

    Good to hear that the dogs that attacked Lula have been identified as dangerous and restrictions have been placed on them.

    I haven't been cooking much, lately; maybe I'll feel up to cooking something this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are strong enough to feel like cooking this weekend, Bless. I belong to two libraries, too. (Santa Clarita and San Bernadino County.)

      Delete
  5. It's good to know that those dogs are under some sort of control order. It baffles me why people keep such dangerous and unpredictable dogs. I have a great local library and I am trying to read books by authors I know nothing about. Some are great reads and others not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Cherie. It's a huge relief. I just love reading. It's one of my favorite pleasures.

      Delete
  6. I love reading too, it is relaxing isn't. I read before I go to sleep and always make sure I have at least half an hour of time. I am reading a book about Wild Swimming at the moment I love the prose it transports to wherever the swimmer is.

    I seem to spend a lot of my life cooking, yesterday I had to make a pizza for my son to take to a Scout Christmas party as well as out usual tea! I am going to make my first batch of mince pies tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love homemade pizza, sustainablemum. It takes time to make, but is so worth it. Your pies sounds scrumptious! I plan to make a pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

      Delete
  7. My family were big readers as well. Luckily I married a guy who also loves to read and I know we passed it on to our boys. We use the local library quite a bit. We are also having soup tonight-I just finished the assembly and the slow cooker is doing the rest. Navy beans, lamb shanks, tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, green bell pepper, a splash of madeira wine, assorted spices/garlic and chicken stock. With corn bread (a request from my dinner partner!) it will be dinner for probably the next 3 nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, That soup sounds incredible! It's convenient and healthy to have homemade soup in the fridge. It's so full of nutrients.

      Delete