Saturday, December 7, 2019

I Saw a Mountain Lion

On Thursday at about 3:00 in the afternoon, I was driving slowly up the mountain road to the cabin.  I was only going about 25 miles and hour.  I had made a conscious choice  to be very careful, in case I saw a deer.  A friend of mine in Canada had almost hit one a couple of weeks ago.  To my surprise, a large animal leaped across the road in front of me. 

At first I thought it was a coyote.  It was long, and  lean. Its color was solid grey.  I looked at it's head, and realized that the ears were rounded.  After seeing how long the tail was, I knew that it was a mountain lion.  It made a u-turn and stopped and looked at me.  Our eyes met.  I couldn't believe how close it was.

I wanted to take a photo, but kept driving.  Lula was with me, and I didn't want to risk an attack.  It was a beautiful animal.  He or she was terribly thin.  It felt like a very magical and spiritual experience.

 Now I will meditate on the mountain lion.  They are also known as cougars and pumas.  I have always wanted to see one, but not while hiking.  I think he was out hunting.  We were very fortunate to be safe in the red VW Beetle.  Have you ever seen one?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.        

20 comments:

  1. Wow...that is scary and neat at the same time! Good thing you were driving so carefully! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I was awestruck. Yes, I agree about driving slowly and carefully. I was going way below the speed limit.

      Delete
  2. Tony says that we often see red VW beetles... but never a cougar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rarely seen here, too, Cherie. He or she was magnificent. I will never forget the encounter.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! Please be careful when you are hiking in the area, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, From what I've read, they have tracked several mountain lions that are napping near our hiking trails. We don't even know they are there. They generally eat deer.

      Delete
  4. I am relieved to read you were in your car at the time. What an amazing experience. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. It really was. They are such gorgeous animals.

      Delete
  5. That was an amazing experience and that was not by chance. I wonder what that means for you, what message that mountain lion was bringing to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mereknits. It was life changing. I have been reading all that i can about mountain lions. I love them.

      Delete
  6. Lucky you to have seen a mountain lion! I have not seen one, in person, but, they are beautiful animals, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness! What an encounter! Our friend who is living in Oregon these days can't walk the neighbourhood in the evening owing to the bears and a known cougar in the area. I don't think she'd be thrilled to know about daytime sightings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pipistrello, This was on a secluded mountain road. It wasn't near any homes. They are easier to spot and track in the snow.

      Delete
  8. Wow that is amazong, what an experience! Not easily forgotten. We don't have mountain lions in Norway, but I did see a Gaupe on my way to work, which is rare. Think you call them bobcats or something like it. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam, I would love to see a bobcat. We have those here, too. Yes, it was amazing.

      Delete
  9. What an experience! We hear about them being in our canyons. A few weeks ago the ranger shared some footage from the wildlife cameras set up at the farmhouse adobe that showed one wandering along the trail during the night. He/she disappeared into the bush and has not been seen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, They are elusive. The Native Americans used to call them Ghost Cats. They really blend in with the environment, like foxes. I love to imagine what they are doing at night. I think they are incredible animals.

      Delete
  10. Such a special experience for you, Stephanie, to see a mountain lion, awe-inspiring! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete