Friday, December 13, 2019

"I Don't Like Your Hair"




Years ago, I decided to switch from my trio of red, brown, and black henna to just red.  I was curious to see how it would look.  It was bright, almost orange.   I met my parents that week in Carmel, and the first thing my mother said when she saw me was,  "I don't like your hair."  She sounded very annoyed. 

I, however, did like it.  People who didn't know me seemed to think that  I was a natural redhead.  I have always had fair skin, freckles, and green eyes.  It went perfectly with my coloring.  I must carry the gene.  As I said good bye to my mom that week, she repeated to me, "And I DON'T like you hair,"  with extreme agitation.  She seemed furious that I dared to dye my long, thick, brown  hair red.  She had very fine, dark brown hair.  I thought it was pretty, but she hated it.  All my life she would always moan  that she didn't know where I had gotten "all that hair"... I think that thick hair and thick nails are genetic.

Several months ago I decided to switch back to  the all red version of henna again.  It was kind of a shock to see in the mirror at first, but I got tons of compliments.  People I saw while shopping seemed to light up at seeing a redhead.  They didn't realize that it was henna.  I realized again that I love being part of this special club, such a small segment of the population.  I feel like I can wear very little make-up, yet the wisps around my face it still give it some color.  As I've gotten older, (I am now 55,) I was  feeling  like I had faded.  This bumps everything up again.

dinner and a show with Clay, our cruise director on the Epic

When I went to visit my dad before he died, he commented sarcastically,  "Oh, so you're a redhead now?"  I told him the story of how my mom had reacted to my hair years ago on our trip together to Carmel.  I didn't react to his negative tone.  His own hair was now grey, and the top of his head was bald.  He used to make fun of the women at his bridge club that dyed their hair.  I explained to him that women go to a lot of trouble to look their best.  If he didn't like their hairstyle, I recommended that he keep it to himself, instead of asking them if it was natural, like he had been doing.  (Most of these women were in their eighties and nineties.)

As I applied the henna to my hair this morning, I realized that I adore the result.  It makes me feel happy and excited.  I have always loved redheads;  I think they are mysterious and beautiful.  I study the photos of Irish women, with all of their varied shades of hair color.  Some are more golden, others have an orange tinge.  A few are darker, with highlights.  Red hair excites me.  It's unusual, bright, and somehow seems spiritual to me.  I love that I can get away with people thinking that mine is natural.  It's a secret that makes me giggle.  I have to let the color sit on my now grey roots for four hours, but it's worth it.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear, as they are moderated.  

      

19 comments:

  1. Your dad is just so dear! And how you advised him...so sweet of you! My husband always tells me to dye my hair red...lol. I am 62 so your age sounds young to me...I wish I could roll back the time to 55! Once i had someone tell me that "oh I would never dye my hair...". She was a single 40' something year -old mom (whose hair was turning gray already) and a physicians assistant (never married). Yet she admired my hair dye (I dyed it at the time). Well a few years later I saw her at church with dyed hair and a new husband! I really do think little perks like hair dye can make a person feel younger and if that is the result...it has done its job! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, Andrea. What color did you dye your hair? I'm just curious. My mom never went grey. It was amazing.

      Delete
    2. I just added on a light brown (or dark blond) at the time. I did it for about a year when my 6th child was born (I was 48). I quit because my hair is very fine and I noticed it seemed thinner when I dyed it. I have heard, though, that perming is more damaging than dyeing. Andrea

      Delete
  2. Red hair is rare, isn’t it? One of my colleagues daughter has red hair, and that’s the only time I’ve seen vibrant red hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Nil. I love how fiery it is. It makes me smile when I see a redhead.

      Delete
  3. How funny that anyone wouldn't like red hair in an age where people are dying it green and purple etc. I bet you look quite nice with red hair. And if you are happy with it, that's the important part.
    PS I have a Christmas quilt with red-headed angels. I had a friend comment on it once. She loved it and said she never found red-headed angels. (She had reddish hair:-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lady Locust. I agree, what matters is if it makes us happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder why your mother didn't like you choosing to be a redhead? It's your hair and you should be able to dye it any color you like! As long as it makes you happy and doesn't harm anyone else, that's all that matters! I have chosen not to color my hair, but, just about everyone in my family colors their hair and they would like me to color mine, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, Bless. That's funny that your family wants you to color your hair, too. It's time consuming. I enjoy the results, though.

      Delete
  6. love red hair but the darker variety (not carrot) used to dye mine red too! my sister was the lucky one, she used to have plum coloured hair, it was gorgeous! i love that colour too; my dad had gingery/copper over brown & mum was jet black; i ended up with brown hair with some colours but you could see them much; i tried all colours in my young adult life (except black) blondes/golds to the purple burgundies but always came back to reds;
    am mostly grey now & red dyes probably would go pink! not that i'd mind, would be lovely!
    enjoy being a red head again :))
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hair color sounds really pretty, selina. I find the grey turns orange with red henna. Eventually it softens up to a more golden shade on my hair, though.

      Delete
  7. My mother's family, being Irish, carries the red hair gene. My sister is a natural ginger as are several cousins. My original hair color was also red, but darker than my sister's color. But, I was completely gray by my mid-20's and dying my gray back to red was often a disaster as the color faded. Orange or pink hair did not look good on me!!! So now it is dyed a medium golden brown and at large bother and expense I keep it that color. Your hair is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, orange or pink hair could be upsetting. I love the color of your hair. Thank you, I am a huge fan of henna. I find the orange calms down after it has been on my hair for a few days. Some people mix the red henna with brown or another color. That's nice, too.

      Delete
  8. I have never dyed my hair but if I did I think I would henna as I the shades it can create in hair. I love red hair, my uncle was a red head, my brother has recently grown a beard and is red (his hair is dark blonde). I get red highlights in my hair in the sun, my hair is a darkish blonde naturally - no grey yet - I am 50 next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds so pretty, sustainablemum. The sun does really add highlights. It's amazing what it does to the henna treated hair, too. How lucky you are to have no grey hair at 50! Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  9. I have two natural red heads, my two youngest children. Here in Scotland, we have the highest percentage of red heads in the entire world and it is common to see people with all shades of red. I love my boys hair very much but they do suffer in the summer as red hair and delicate skin goes hand in hand. They burn the moment the sun turns a little warmer in spring. My own hair is dark brown, going grey. I use to dye my hair dark red when I was younger but I am a bit lazy now and just leave it dark brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it, Christina. That's true about being in the sun. My brothers and I all used to burn easily in the summertime. How interesting that Scotland has the highest percentage of red heads in the entire world! I never knew...I assumed it was Ireland.

      Delete
  10. Good for you! You go! Do whatever makes you happy. It is your hair, dye it any color you want.

    ReplyDelete