Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Spectacular Santorini

I hiked up above and then followed the zigzag trail down the mountain
 
One of my favorite ports on NCL's  cruise was Santorini, Greece.  It was so exciting to see the petite white houses and shops as our ship pulled up closer to the island.  The tugboats led us along; I watched it all from my balcony.  The views were just incredible!


There's our ship, The Norweigan Epic, our comfortable home away from home  for twelve nights

I had only seen photos and movies of Greece.  It was a thrill to actually be there.  My aunt took a trip there when I was a little girl; she brought me back the sweetest little handmade dress.  It was red and creme colored, with hand stitched embroidery.  Ever since that day,  I have wanted to visit Greece myself.


I longed to ride a mule, but elected to walk back down,  instead

We took a small boat, or tender, to get to shore.  From there,  you can buy a ticket to ride the trolley up to the top.  It is a very steep journey.  The ticket cost six Euros, if I remember correctly.  The views were magnificent.

such a peaceful, serene scene from my balcony

I went back to on board  to have my meals.  Since I had already paid for them, I didn't stop at a restaurant.  I did order a juice at a charming cafe, though.  It cost ten Euros!  The ambiance and scenery was worth it, though.  The friendly owner of the place encouraged me to order a cactus juice, but I got the mixed fruit.  He was drinking an espresso out of a lovely cup.  I kept studying the design and shape of  it.   

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 
 

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And now you have wonderful memories to rethink while you are enjoying the quiet snow! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to relive it through the pictures, Andrea. What a contrast, with the snow.

      Delete
  2. How lovely! I've been to Greece but not Santorini but have heard many things about its charms. Your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your pictures of your tours, Stephenie. I feel like I am visiting those places, myself, when I see your pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the whole idea, Bless. I'm so glad that you feel that way. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  4. I have never been to Santorini so I appreciate seeing your wonderful pictures. What a memorable trip-even without a mule ride!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, Anita. I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the photos.

      Delete
  5. My friend's granddaughter got married in Santorini this summer. She said it was beautiful but very expensive. I couldn't bring myself to pay 10 euros for a glass of juice though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it was exquisite, getting married in Santorini. The glass of juice was the only thing I bought, much cheaper than a wedding!

      Delete
  6. I love reading about your tour, Stephanie.
    You posts make me want to take a cruise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd love it, Nil. I am a big fan of cruising on NCL. I adored this itinerary.

      Delete