Saturday, December 14, 2019

Eating Low Carb

outdoor cafe in Monaco
 
This morning I watched a doctor on Youtube giving a talk on dietary changes that work well for arthritis.  I agreed with most of what he said, (aside from eating only meat.)   I learned by trial and error that if I just have a couple servings of carbs per day, I am way ahead of the game. 

It's nice not to have to cut out bread or pasta completely.  When I eat too many baked goods, (especially delicious desserts,) is when I will wake up in the middle of the night with an aching big toe joint or painful shoulder.  I also have noticed that it happens in the car, on long drives. 

What works for me is to consume  meat and poultry, bone broths, salads, veggies, and fruit.  This is a nice variety of foods, so  you don't feel deprived.  Potatoes can be very satisfying, and they are inexpensive.   If you cook with olive oil, and use it on your salad paired with balsamic vinegar and herbs, you avoid the oils that can cause harm.  

While staying up at the mountain cabin recently, I began to slip.  I started adding things like a bowl of granola for breakfast, a bag of homemade popcorn topped with parmesan cheese as a snack on a hike, and a generous slice of store bought chocolate cream pie for dessert.  Something about being  in the cold makes it tempting for me to buy boxed baked goods  at the grocery store.  For some reason grains can really exacerbate pain in those with arthritis and gout. 

I noticed that I was uncomfortable on the drive back from Las Vegas.  I know if was due to my dietary additions.  I had also sneaked in a few homemade lattes over the past week.  Milk  can really make arthritis flare.  I learned that by trial and error.  Coffee with cream and sugar I can manage, in moderation.  

Now I am back to my routine, and happy to be pain free.  After having both hips replaced, I am relieved that I understand my body chemistry well enough now to avoid more self induced joint pain.  I am grateful for my ceramic hips, but I don't want to have more surgery in the future, if I can help it.  This way of eating seems to be working well.  Christmas treats are tempting, but there is always tomorrow.  I will have to limit the peppermint bark.  How is your body doing?  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

16 comments:

  1. My body is trying to fight off an infection! I should be eating a low carb diet, myself. But, I do admit that I like bread and pasta, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried fresh garlic, Bless? I find it's very effective. I love bread and pasta, too. I just have to have less of it.

      Delete
  2. It's great when you discover something that works well for you, especially when it helps relieve your discomfort. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Jules. It is so worth it to be pain free.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you, your body sort of tells you where you're going wrong. If I eat a carb laden meal I'm sluggish in mind and body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if I drink hot chocolate, it triggers a flare. Just can't take the milk at this age. It's funny, because I never liked milk as a child.

      Delete
  4. That is really useful to know. My leg pains me more some days than others. I plan to watch what I eat and see if I notice a connection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's made all the difference for me, Cherie. I hope you find relief.

      Delete
  5. You are so smart to get back on the proper diet. I am not low carb but I don't eat red meat, pork, sugar or alcohol. I try hard to eat well and that helps. I am all about anti-inflammation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Mereknits. I don't drink, either. (Except when I'm on a cruise.). I love pork, but it's another food that I avoid. It makes me ache, too. I love the taste, though.

      Delete
  6. You are a smart eater and your perfect weight shows it works! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are sweet, Andrea. I used to eat foods that really sent me out of whack, when my hips were really shot. It seems like removing the diseased joints has made it much easier to eat and enjoy food again.

      Delete
  7. I hear you on eating to keep yourself healthy. I have done so for years with a different condition, Crohns Disease, like you I have found that keeping wheat out of my diet is the best way to keep myself in good health. I can eat it maybe once a week no more, it has been a challenge but is not impossible. When you know that the outcome is to be ill it makes you less likely to be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, sustainablemum. Once a week is limited, but at least you can enjoy it now and then. I can handle a couple of servings of bread, pasta, or a dessert. I try to space it out during the day, and have protein first.

      Delete
  8. You are so in tune with your body. I envy that! I am now eating fewer carbs since the summer and have been pleasantly surprised by the results. No more achy toes, swelling of my feet, hands, ankles has decreased remarkably and I find I have more energy. I am sure some weight has come off as well, but that is based solely on how baggy my clothes have become. How interesting you have ceramic implants. Isn't titanium more common?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Thank you. That's wonderful that you have stopped the achy toes, swelling, and side effects. It's wild, isn't it? Your baggy clothes are a sure sign that you've lost weight. I have titanium stems in the femurs, and ceramic hip joints. I love them. I don't even know they are there...

      Delete