Monday, January 13, 2020

A Snowy Hike and Picnic

I found a trail that was flat and wide
 
This morning I drove to a few different places, searching for a hiking trail that would be safe to hike in the snow.  It can get icy and extremely slippery.  We had two hikers die in December near Mount Whitney.  One was a 53 year old man who was hiking with a group, the other was a 32 year old search and rescue worker, who was looking for him.  On the steep slopes, there are chutes where people go sliding down the mountain.  It's a dangerous situation and can have a tragic ending.   They had to call off the search for the first man. 

Lula and  I enjoyed this trail that was covered with snow.  She galloped along in front of me, thrilled with the challenge that  the snow presented.  The air was fresh and crisp, and it felt energizing to be outside in nature.  I brought my backpack filled with supplies.  We stopped at a cleared off picnic table for lunch.  Lula had a dog biscuit, and I ate a slice of cold pizza.  We drove home in the red Beetle, and I drank my hot coffee that I had stored in the thermos on the kitchen counter.  The seller left it and a vintage Mr. Coffemaker with  the house.  It has a timer, and you can have your coffee brewing before you wake up in the morning.  I love how the smell wafts up the stairs.  The thermos/pitcher  really does an excellent job of keeping beverages hot.  I didn't have to buy anything for that cabin.  It came fully equipped.  I am so thankful. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.
   

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a delightful day out Stephenie. Nature is good medicine xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Tania. There is something magical about snow. It makes everything feel so clean.

      Delete
  2. Hiking in the snow was probably a good workout, too! But, brr! Too cold for me! That is such a blessing that the cabin came fully equipped! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cabin is very cozy and comfortable, Bless. The exercise gets your blood pumping. I wear layers of hand knit wool sweaters, scarves, socks, gloves, and an alpaca hat. I made it for my dad before he died.

      Delete
  3. It sounds wonderful there and it's reassuring to know you take precautions when you're out and about. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. I like walking through the neighborhoods, too. The roads are plowed, so it's not too slippery.

      Delete
  4. That does sound wonderful. It must be lovely to breath clear cold mountain air and walk in such beautiful surroundings. That little cabin is going to be so loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I adore the cabin, and so does Lula. She is always so excited to return. The crisp air and the towering pine trees always inspire me.

      Delete
  5. Such a sad loss of life. Stay safe on your snowy hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know. Thanks, mm. This location is a good one. We don't go far from the main road, and my car is visible with the permit hanging on the rear view mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be very cold up there. Stay warm, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My layers of hand knit clothing and blankets keep me warm, Nil. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. So your new winter hiking boots got a good workout! The picture is so pretty it makes me want to jump in my car and drive up to the mountains. Your description of the vintage Mr Coffee maker made me smile since it sounds just like the one I am looking at right now in my kitchen. It has been a treasure for the last 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I have been wearing my snow boots every day since they arrived. They are so soft and warm. Those Mr. Coffee machines were really built to last. My aunt had one, too. The seller left an extra glass pot, in case this on breaks.

      Delete
  9. Very smart hiking know-how! I know what you mean about the smell of coffee! Sometimes it is as delightful as drinking the coffee! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Andrea. The anticipation on a cold morning is strong.

      Delete