Monday, January 20, 2020

Borrowing DVDs at the Library

a walk down the mountain, and a turn to the right leads to the local library


I have been borrowing DVDs at the local library, and watching them at night before bed.  It is so entertaining. I love the fact that it costs nothing!  The cabin has a VCR/DVD player in the bedroom, and it's so cozy to climb under the flannel sheets and enjoy a film before falling asleep.  Lula seems to enjoy the experience, too.  She stares avidly at the screen, and  reacts to people's voices and energy.  She doesn't like it when the actors fight or complain.  It's funny how animals read and respond to our energy.  So much of our emotional state shows up in our tone of voice and our choice of words.

Last week I watched Wild, (which was filmed on the Pacific Crest Trail,) Dreamgirls, and Five Flights Up.  I really was thrilled with all three of them.  Our library also rents out movies that are newer, but I am just as happy seeing the ones that are free.  I was never a movie buff, but now  am discovering a new appreciation for the experience of watching a movie.  How about you?  Do you check out films at your local library?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

15 comments:

  1. Free DVDs from the library are a wonderful frugal entertainment! I haven't borrowed any DVDs from the library, recently, however. But, I did attend the free screening of a movie, the other week, and might go to the next one, as well, this Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, That sounds like fun. Our library does the same thing. I will have to take advantage of it. I hope you enjoy the next one on Friday.

      Delete
  2. I can't remember the last time I visited the library, although I'm sure there used to be a fee to borrow DVD's here.
    It's good you can enjoy watching a film before bed, especially if it helps you to relax. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, I am really getting into it, lately. It's so relaxing to do when it's cold outside. It's a fun way to pass the time.

      Delete
  3. I borrow lots of books and the occasional dvd from our local libraries and love that they are free! I don't tend to borrow movies but television series that I enjoy. It's easier for me to sit and watch an half hour episode of a show rather than a longer movie. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense, Meg. As I get older, I find the time watching a movie seems to fly by...your perspective changes as you age. The half hour episodes sound ideal.

      Delete
  4. Tony and I are hooked on watching Netflix series. There have been some really good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father used to love those, too, Cherie. You get quite a variety.

      Delete
  5. Yes we check out DVDs from our local library once in a while. In fact-the only "binge" watching I have ever done was when I checked out Downtown Abbey a few years ago. We had to go to another branch for one of the seasons since it wasn't available at ours. I also checked out the first 2 seasons of The Crown last year. Free movies are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Anita. I have Amazon Prime, too. I have watched some excellent historical series about Europe from them. I also love their documentaries, too. Downtown Abbey was very popular!

      Delete
  6. That is great, you have a great library! I haven't been in one in years. The last one I went to, remodeled. Then when I went in with my library card, they said I had to bring a utility bill or something to prove I lived in the county (it was a county library...I couldn't understand whey they just couldn't transfer my old card over)...so I said forget it! So sweet Lula is such a good movie companion even! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I think they require that at ours, too. (for proof of residency) I find it's so worth it. They have so many wonderful books and movies. I also use the computers there for free, instead of paying for wifi up at the cabin.

      Delete
  7. I used to borrow DVDs from the library, but lately I’ve been using Hoopla. It’s free for me, through the public library system. I can watch 12 movies or tv shows per month.
    Mostly I borrow books.

    Free entertainment is the best! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoopla...I'll have to look into it. Thanks Nil. Twelve movies or t.v. shows a month sounds great.

      Delete
  8. Sadly you have to pay to borrow DVDs from our local library, and some of them you can only have for a couple of days which wouldn't work for us as we only go into town once a week. It has been a long time since we have borrowed any. We tend to buy them from Charity shops these days as it costs the same as borrowing them, when we have watched them a few times we take them back for someone else to do the same. Longer term borrowing and a donation to charity at the same time!

    ReplyDelete