Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Lemons, Tangerines, Limes, and Blood Oranges Have Ripened



The citrus trees are all giving an abundant harvest this year.  It is so exciting!  During the drought, they were just limping along, sometimes not even producing.  Now that we have had some rain,  the brightly colored fruits are plump and beautiful. 


It's exciting to be able to squeeze your own orange juice from the citrus on your backyard trees.  It tastes so much better than the juice that you buy from the grocery store.


I keep my citrus trees mulched with straw.  They love it.  I also rake up the leaves in the fall and surround the base of the plants with them.  It gives a slow feed to the trees, and it nourishes the soil. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

16 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful! They look delicious! I bet that is nice to have fresh juice. Glad you got some good rains and keep them mulched. Happy trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LL. The rain has made all of the difference. The mulch attracts red wiggler worms.

      Delete
  2. Your citrus trees are so productive and healthy looking! Now, why didn't I think of straw for mulch? I have been using bark chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure that works well, too, Bless. It amazes me how fast the mulch disappears. Mine love the leaves, too.

      Delete
  3. Now I am really jealous. To be able to pick your own citrus from your own garden.... sigh!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Yes, it is one of the blessings of living in Southern California. Up at the cabin, I plan to plant apples and pears. It's much colder there.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to have your own fruit. There's nothing quite like freshly squeezed juice from oranges picked straight off the tree. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jules. The freshness is delightful. I love the bright colors, too.

      Delete
  5. So abundant and beautiful! You are so lucky! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Thank you. They do need care. I keep them on a watering schedule, feed them compost and manure, and layer on the mulch. If I do my part, and we get rain, they produce beautifully.

      Delete
  6. Your citrus look healthy and I am happy to read that they are thriving. Mulch helps so much-I am a real believer in mulch! We only have one citrus-a Meyer lemon in a big pot and it is producing like crazy this year. One neighbor has several orange trees which have the fruit hanging over the back fence toward to road. He has posted a sign that says-"Don't Pick Any Oranges Yet-They Are Not Ready. Come Back in a Month!" He is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your neighbor sounds like he has a good sense of humor. I think I will wait till late February to pick mine, too. They are still a bit tart. I'm glad that your Meyer lemon is doing so well. They are such a delicious lemon.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Nil. They truly are. They taste so different than the ones you buy at the store.

      Delete
  8. It's wonderful to have fruiting trees that provide you with homegrown citrus. They look really healthy and productive. I love the vibrant colours of the fruits. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete