Saturday, January 4, 2020

Snow and Ice

I have been busy shoveling snow up at the cabin.  I waited to make the mountain drive for about  a week, hoping that  some of it would have melted.  It made a big difference. I wasn't sure if I would be able to pull into my driveway.  I had spoken to a woman on the phone who lives up here, and she told me that they had three feet of snow.

Fortunately, someone had plowed my parking space for me!   I was able to walk down to the door in my snow boots. Lula has been galloping and frolicking around the yard.  She gets ecstatically happy in the clean, fluffy, white snow.  It has been  relaxing to sit by the fire, knit my alpaca blanket, and read  library books.

I met a couple more of my neighbors, and we exchanged mountain lion stories.  They believe there are many of them in this area.  There are less deer, according to the hunters.  I find the whole food chain fascinating.  They had a tan cougar jump in front of them crossing the road in Big Bear, just like I did up here.  They were riding a motorcycle.  It's so exciting to live in the woods.  It also has its risks, though.  They told me about a bear that has been seen on our street.  Never a dull moment.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

       

18 comments:

  1. Your mountain cabin sounds like such a lovely place! I'm glad someone had cleared your parking spot for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far we have had the warmest winter I have ever known. It was almost warm today and the laundry was very nearly dry by the time I brought it in from the garden. I love the idea of soft fluffy sparkling white snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is beautiful, Cherie. How nice that your laundry dried so quickly.

      Delete
  3. Whoever plowed your parking space is a very nice person. I cant's imagine removing 3 ft of snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I spent hours shoveling. It's good exercise, though. I agree, I was ecstatic to be able to pull into my spot. One of the men on our block has a snow plow.

      Delete
  4. You're having a great experience up in the mountains! I do like how snow is clean...especially for our pets running around in it. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lula goes bananas with excitement. She is so joyful in the snow.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks LL. Gazing into a fire is my favorite meditation.

      Delete
  6. That's a lot of wildlife on your doorstep. Is any of it ever a threat? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bear has never bothered anyone. He was going through their trash cans. Now they are bear proof.

      Delete
  7. I was wondering how much snow you would have up there. What a treat to find your parking space already cleared out. I can just picture Lula frolicking in the snow! Are you going to show us the alpaca blanket soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I think I've already posted a photo of it. It's luster on my Etsy Shop. I am just knitting it a second time, because Lula added a lot of loops. It looked better when it was new. It is nice and warm, though.

      Delete
  8. What a delight to be able to see the wonderful array of wildlife. Although I must admit to been a little nervous about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. I have a favorite woodpecker that I see regularly. He's huge! He has pecked hundreds of holes in the pine trees. He had a big nut in his mouth today.

      Delete
  9. What wonderful neighbours you have. Your cabin sounds amazing, I felt like I was sitting knitting there right with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sustainablemum. That's true. It is such a gift. I love the vibe. Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete