Thursday, January 16, 2020

Turning Down the Hot Water Heater

I have started turning the gas hot water heater down to low when I am not using it.  It makes a big difference in the monthly bill.  My father used to turn ours down when we were kids, and my mom would yell at him.  It drove her nuts to be doing dishes and to wait for constant lukewarm water.  He was  trying to save money.  She would loudly  insist that he turn it back up to the  normal setting, preferably hot.

I put mine a bit higher when I am taking a bath.  I lower it back immediately, though.  If I am going away, I dial it back several notches.  There's no need to have hot water when you're not there.

I used to rent a guest house from a wealthy woman in Santa Fe, NM.  She had the hot water heaters set on timers.  They clicked on and off at certain times of the day.  We had to take a shower at a specific hour.  She told me that it made a huge difference in what the bills were.  She was very aware of what she spent.  She had sold a home in Malibu, California, doubled her money, and then bought a gorgeous home in Santa Fe. 

She found a buyer, and doubled her money with that one, too.  She purchased another house on a large piece of land, with fifteen acres.   I always remember observing her and thinking,  "Maybe I can do that someday, too."  Now here I am...

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.       

12 comments:

  1. That is probably a very frugal thing to do, Stephenie. :) So far, I haven't done that, though, for the convenience of having hot water on tap, anytime I want. Most of my natural gas bill is due to heating because I like it warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I like that convenience, too. I turn it to low before I go to bed, and then put it back on before I do the dishes.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post, Stephenie. I never thought of adding a timer to the water heater. It makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I think so, too. Let me know if your gas bill is lower...

      Delete
  3. What a clever idea to turn down the water heater. I have never considered that! Ours in the garage and we have a water heater blanket around it for extra insulation. My late father-in-law always complained that the water heater was too far away from the bathroom and it took way too long to get hot water to his shower. My late mother-in-law would just roll her eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess that's true. Those blankets are supposed to be a big help.

      Delete
  4. It makes a lot of sense to look for savings like these. We have solar hot water with a top-up facility set at an off-peak tariff. That saves us a lot and means we are lower energy users too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Ah, solar. That's another step I would like to take. Good for you.

      Delete
  5. It makes sense to save money wherever we can. All the more to spend on lovely trips away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, Cherie. It makes a big difference, I find.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. My pleasure. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete