Friday, January 10, 2020

My Impressions of the Winchester Mystery House



Many of you expressed interest in Sarah Winchester's home in San Jose, which I was lucky enough to tour earlier this week.  It has a fascinating history.

I first learned of it from my best friend growing up, Karen.  She had gone there when she was about thirteen.  I used to spend the night at her house and vice versa on the weekends.  She whispered to me about this woman who had built staircases that led to nowhere, held seances, and was obsessed with the number thirteen.  It all sounded very dramatic and spooky. 

My own impression, though, was quite different.  I was impressed with the Queen Anne style of the front of the house.  My mother always loved that era and look.  So do I.  It's so royal and classic.

When I purchased my ticket at the counter of the gift shop,  I suddenly felt an overwhelming presence.  I was practically flattened.  I couldn't even talk.  I waited a moment, and it vanished.  I felt like it was Sarah, and that she wanted me to see the house.  I was trying to decide if I should take the second tour, as well, or just the first.  I elected to wait for the Explore More tour and come back another day.  It is only 38 miles from the home where I grew up, in San Mateo.

Sarah spoke four languages, and played the organ, as well as other instruments

I found the rooms very quaint, petite, and detail oriented.  I could relate to Sarah on many levels.  She seemed grief stricken to me.  I felt such sadness for her, upon learning that she lost her only baby daughter.  Her husband also died very young; he was only 43.  She lived alone for the rest of her life.

She was very spiritual, gifted, and artistic.  The steps throughout the house she designed to be very shallow, to accommodate her crippling arthritis.  I know very well the pain that it causes.  She surrounded herself with beauty, which is what my mother did.  She paid her workers double the going rate, provided lunch and dinner, and gave them a place to live, on the property.  I felt a sense of love and admiration for her.  Her spirit was so strong.  I will never forget the experience of being bowled over by it.  Some people (and spirits) have more energy than others.  Hers, in my opinion, was remarkable and incredibly powerful.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

        

12 comments:

  1. Oh how cool. Sounds like it was a good experience for you also (that sounds so artificial, but I really mean it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LL. I don't think it sounds artificial at all. It was exciting and inspiring to finally see the house.

      Delete
  2. It does look like a very beautiful place, Stephenie. I've added it to my list of places to visit, maybe the next time I go up to the Bay Area. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, It's really something. I am still thinking about her.

      Delete
  3. Having watched the video you shared, I now want to visit the house too. I am glad you enjoyed your tour and that you get a chance to go back for the explore more tour some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sustainablemum. I hear that the Explore More tour is really cool. It's only $15.00 if you take it within a year of your first visit.

      Delete
  4. I love old homes and buildings and their histories, Stephanie. It sounds like this house and owner have an intriguing history. It looks such a lovely and charming house. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Meg. I am still thinking about it. She was a very talented woman. The story is very dramatic and sad.

      Delete
  5. I visited the house when I was a child and was
    absolutely fascinated by it but I've never been
    back (I've lived in Australia for over thirty
    years and never go back to the Bay Area). Funny
    that you grew up in San Mateo - I grew up in
    Burlingame!
    in Burlingame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, Wow, Burlingame is right next door! It is really gorgeous in San Mateo and Burlingame now. I went there with my dad for dinner when he was still alive. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Years ago my husband and I took our sons to visit the Winchester Mystery House and at one point in the tour I felt very hemmed in, like I wanted to get out. I stuck it out though, but it is very big and lots of hallways with confusing turns in it. At one point the guide said, sometimes people need to leave quickly, and the guides know quick exits. Interesting tour and beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's interesting, Terra. I can understand why some people would feel the need to leave quickly.

      Delete