Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Closing Off Rooms To Save Heat



My mom used to close a few doors off in the den and kitchen in the morning, to keep the heat from wafting through the house.  I have started doing the same thing.  The smaller the space, the less time it takes to heat.

When at the cabin, after rising, I flick on the switch in the tiny bathroom on my way downstairs.  I continue the descent, and  turn on the heat in the kitchen.  From there, I head back up and use the toilet.  By that time, the bathroom has shifted from freezing to toasty warm.  I click the small heater off as I leave.


After adjusting  the switch of the  coffeemaker  in the kitchen, I turn down the thermometer in the sun room.  When I return from taking Lula outside  to go potty, I pour the coffee,  arrange  my tray, and head into the sun room.  I turn  off the heat in the kitchen as I leave.  By this time, it has started to get warm, and I ease onto the comfortable, cushy couch to watch the morning sunrise.   Since I spend a few hours in this room, I can turn the heat down, relax under a blanket, and do my journaling.  It's amazing how fast just one room will heat up in a short time.

These are old gas heaters, and they work remarkably well.  I am so happy that the owner built the cabin in such a way that you can conserve energy, yet still feel comfortable.  I find wearing layers of my hand knits really adds to the coziness level, too.  

Are you staying warm enough this winter?   I know many of you are in Australia, so we are at opposite times of the year.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

16 comments:

  1. So far in the UK it has been very mild but VERY WET! We have sunshine for a whole 8 days if the forecast us to be believed. I hope its dries out the ground a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eight consecutive days, wow! It's fun to hear what the weather is like in the UK, Frugal in Essex. I hope it dries out the ground for you, too.

      Delete
  2. It's not very cold here, but I always have a blanket on the sofa. If I feel chilly I wear thick socks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's comforting to have a soft blanket and thick, warm socks. I remember knitting you a purple pair a while back...

      Delete
    2. I still use them Stephenie. Every time it reminds me of you. 😊

      Delete
  3. I, too, close the doors to unused rooms, when the heater is on. But, my house is open plan and only the bedrooms and bathrooms have doors than can be closed. I seem to feel the cold quite a lot, so I am usually wearing layers, with socks, and, often, a scarf or shawl, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of layers, as well, Bless. I love to sit by the fire, too.

      Delete
  4. Sounds smart to me! We have natural gas so it is very inexpensive to heat our home. I love your stove! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I bought the stove second hand. I love it. I have natural gas, too. It's wonderful.

      Delete
  5. We always keep soft squishy fleece blankets on the sofa in case of a temperature drop. I remember my mum saying 'well put a jumper on' if we complained of being cold. That is the first thing I do before deciding whether the heating needs to go on. I am now a great fan of layers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, My dad used to tell us to "Put a sweater on," too. I am always wearing my hand knit woolens, but it gets cold up in the mountains. I adjust the heat once the chill has been taken off the room.

      Delete
  6. Windy here but quite mild so we have been able to cut back a little on the fuel bills so far this Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, mm. Being inside protects you from the wind. It's always encouraging to see those bills get reduced by being aware.

      Delete
  7. We have not turned on our furnace in over 20 years. But, keep in mind it is very temperate here in San Diego. But it does get chilly in the house so we bundle up in layers of sweaters and warm socks and slippers. And, of course, plenty of hand knit afghans to wrap up in while sitting. Once the sun comes up and around, it does warm up outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, twenty years! Yes, San Diego is a special place. I actually love the cold. I agree, the sun makes a huge difference. I get up very early, sometimes at 4:00 a.m.

      Delete
  8. I cant quite imagine your cold winter. Where I live our winters are mild. I loved how you described your movements in this post. I could picture you in my mind. You are very good at saving money.

    Very hot here the last couple of days. I am patiently waiting for rain to arrive. They have forecast we will get some. Hasn't happened yet though.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete