Thursday, January 23, 2020

New Windows In An Older Cottage



Each year, I budget a certain amount of money for home maintenance.  I finally was able to replace the windows at the pink cottage.  I was concerned that they wouldn't look natural, but I am thrilled with the result.  They're vinyl.

They open and close easily, lock, and have screens that you can barely see.  They really have given my little home a facelift.  I am so happy with them.

That's a raven out in front, at the birdbath.  They are shiny and black, and often stop by for a drink of water.  The garden is well mulched with straw.  It keeps the soil moist, and attracts plenty of red wiggler worms.  This afternoon I fed the fruit trees homemade compost.  It was filled with pill bugs, red wigglers, and some fatter worms, as well.  I spread it around the base of the trees, and watered it into the soil. There are still more trees to be fed, but I completed  my pomegranate, persimmon, and apricot tree.

Next on the list are scheduling  termite injections, replacing the back door,  and eventually, putting on a new roof.  Slowly but surely, these things will get done.  I plan them far in advance, because they are costly.  I really enjoy having work done on my little house, though.  It's very rewarding.  Have you done any repairs or remodeling at your place recently?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.    

13 comments:

  1. You are very organized. Those new vinyl windows will last a very long time.

    Recently I added latch guard plate covers on out-swinging doors for extra security.
    I also want to replace the back door, and installed double glazed windows. The latter one is going to be an expensive project, so I have to save for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Nil, Thanks. The vinyl windows will last for my lifetime, which is a relief. I'll have to google those latch guard plate covers. I just had a dead bolt lock installed up at the cabin.

      Delete
  2. Your new windows look great! I really like how you budget for home improvements and other big projects. It's the way to go.

    I had my window screens replaced, last year, and a few other small repairs. There is more to do, but, they too will get done, eventually. Maybe this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. It was time. The old schoolhouse ones were slipping out and breaking when I cleaned them.

      Delete
  3. We save and budget for jobs like this too. We are currently saving for a new bathroom and to replace some of the windows in our house we haven't done any major work on our house for a few years now as we haven't needed to. New windows are good though aren't they, makes you realise how bad the old ones were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are wonderful, sm. I could barely move the handles on the old ones. Your new bathroom sounds exciting!

      Delete
  4. There is so much that need doing to this house but funds don't allow for anything at the moment. For now I'll stick with being happy for a roof over my head. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit by bit, Jules. Housework and home ownership take a lot of effort, money, and time. It is rewarding, though.

      Delete
  5. We also budget for home repairs and improvements. Shortly we are having the counters and tub surround replaced in the master bathroom. The remodel of that bath we had done 7 years ago was poorly done and has a design flaw which has caused some serious leaks. Hopefully this will be the only large expense this year. Your windows look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a shame, Anita. Leaks would be very upsetting. The bathtub is my favorite feature in the bathroom. Glad you like the windows; I love them!

      Delete
  6. It is important to protect our homes with regular maintenance. Replacing windows will pay you back in the long term. Good work

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a really sensible approach to home maintenance.. bit by bit and then you aren't piled under a mountain of debt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been busy Stephenie.

    Your new window looks great, and I loved seeing that raven. Your garden sounds lovely and healthy, and you are very good with maintaining it. You have reminded me to fertilise some of my trees.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete