Friday, July 21, 2017

Taking the Time To Cook What You Eat

This afternoon for lunch I had a quesadilla with sauteed onions and serrano chiles. My neighbor recommended making them this way. I followed her suggestions, and was pleased with the result. I added some sliced tomato and fresh cilantro, and it was delicious. It was fast and easy to prepare, too.



I've noticed recently that many people don't take the time to cook for themselves anymore. Convenience foods are everywhere. The grocery stores are filled with prepared meals. Many people prefer them. I still really enjoy making what I eat from scratch. It costs a lot less money, and it's healthy and fresh.



People often ask me if I'm naturally thin. They assume that I can eat whatever I want. Often, these people don't realize that I have always exercised for at least an hour a day, for most of my life. When I was dancing professionally, teaching,  and training, I worked out for  several hours each day and night. With the exception of when I was on tour, I have always eaten home cooked meals. If I eat junk and fast food, I gain weight. Most people do. So, I rarely eat those things.



I used to be addicted to potato chips and Nacho Cheese Doritos. I would buy a large bag of one or the other Costco, and think it would last me for a month. It usually didn't. I rationalized that because it was so cheap, (only five or six dollars,) it was okay to eat. I started buying gummy bears there in bulk, too. I sent some to my mother, who also loved them. We both felt guilty. Eventually, I stopped buying all three items. I just knew eating all of those chemicals wasn't good for me. At that time I had osteoarthritis in my hips, and I noticed that type of eating made the pain flare. So, I stopped buying most packaged  foods.  Now, if I want a snack, I'll choose something more natural. I like to have peanut butter on celery, a piece of fruit, or a handful of pumpkin seeds. These seem like much wiser choices. I still enjoy treats, like sorbet and gelato, but I eat them in moderation. I try to keep the bulk of what I put into my body real food. My ballet teacher, Rosemary Valaire, called it "eating sensibly".  How about you? Do you prepare your own meals?   



6 comments:

  1. I cook everything for myself, exercise and really don't need to snack. On the odd occasion that I do it will be nuts or a salad of some kind. I like munching on fresh veggies.
    I walk every morning and then jump straight onto my bike. That is how I begin each day.
    At night I collapse on the couch which is understandable and my time to rest.
    Good on you for sticking to a healthy lifestyle.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are so disciplined, Kylie. Good habits go a long way. That's great that you walk and ride your bike first thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I like to eat fresh, natural foods made at home. I do like potato chips (in moderation) without any chemicals...just potatoes, salt and oil--Cape Cod chips are the best. :)

    This week I'd like to make nachos with homemade beans, raw vegetables, cheese and tortilla chips. Yum!

    Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose, Thank you. I love potato chips, and nachos, too. It's just hard for me to stop with the chips. I like to make homemade french fries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always prepare meals at home. I think it makes me eat healthier as I don't use processed food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, Nil. It's best not to eat things that we can't pronounce.

      Delete