Monday, November 6, 2017

A Productive Sunday


I hope you had a nice weekend. Mine was terrific. I went to a knitting group at the library on Saturday. It was an excellent blend of personalities. We had a great time together. One of the ladies who crochets wanted to learn to knit, so I helped her. She had been taught thirty years ago, and she picked it up again very quickly. I  cast on, knit a few shows and started her off making  a swatch. First she knit three rows. Her garter stitch looked very good, so I explained to her how to pearl. She was circling the opposite way at first, but corrected it quickly. I showed her how if she knit one row, and pearled on the way back, it would create stockinette stitch. She did so well with that that I showed her how to create ribbing.  (She wants to knit a hat.) We did a knit two pearl two version. One of the other women who is a knitting teacher suggested continuing the ribbing as a scarf. "That's a great idea!" I answered. It never dawned on me that the first few rows of her swatch would make a nice border. It was kind of fun to have it develop so organically. It reminded me of the fun I used to have making up dances. I may knit one of these scarves myself. It is so cute.

After setting the clocks back Saturday night, I woke up early Sunday morning. I let Lana out at 5:30 a.m., made coffee, and felt fired up to do some housework. I threw  a load of laundry into the washer, and mopped my floors with homemade liquid soap and hot water.  I gave them a second coat with hot white vinegar water. They look so clean!

The gleaming  floors lifted my spirits so much that I felt spurred on to use my homemade citrus cleaner on the bathroom. I love the smell of it. I got the recipe over on Rhonda Hetzel's Down To Earth Blog. I also used one of her recipes to clean my bathtub. I sprinkled baking soda in the bottom, and then made a paste with my homemade liquid soap, It does a really nice job of scrubbing the ring out of the tub. I like that it's non toxic and natural.


After that, I made tacos with ground turkey. I had all of the ingredients on hand. I picked up Lula, and took she and Lana for a gorgeous hike in the mountains. They loved it, and it gave us a great workout. I came home, enjoyed a delicious lunch of tacos, and then went to the Sunday knitting group at the library. I worked on my sock. I should have it completed today or tomorrow.


It is amazing to me how much happier I feel with such a clean house. I tend to avoid mopping my floors. It really makes a difference in the energy of the home. I've got to do it weekly. I frequently  put off washing my windows, as well. I need to make time to do that tomorrow. I made another batch of Coconut Dream soap this afternoon. My neighbor ordered some for Christmas gifts. It was a very soothing process. It's such a simple recipe. I used Apple Rose fragrance from Brambleberry. It sets quickly, so I will be unmolding it this evening. How are things going with you?    

11 comments:

  1. That was a lovely read.
    I wash our floors every Monday using vinegar and a dash of homemade washing liquid. Kitchen was thoroughly cleaned today. I use the bicarbonate sofa and washing liquid mix on the sink and it comes up so shiny and clean.
    Sounds like knitting on Saturday was a good day had by all involved.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie. I'll have to try that on my kitchen sink. I usually use white vinegar and water spray. Yes, Saturday knitting was excellent!

      Delete
  2. I love that first picture Stephanie. It sets such a soothing scene. Also, do you make your own taco seasoning? If you'd like I would share, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lady Locust. One of the ladies in my Sunday knitting group gave the book to me. It's great! Yes, I do make my own taco seasoning. Thanks for the offer. I'll post the recipe tomorrow on the blog. Would love to see yours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cleaned floors every Thursday. But I didn't wash windows for a while. That's something I intend to every weekend, but never do. :)
    I will add it to my to-do list for this weekend.
    It's so nice that you have a knitting group.
    Looking forward to your taco seasoning recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, That sounds like a good schedule. It really helps to put chores on a list. Hope you enjoy the taco seasoning recipe.

      Delete
  5. nice read, i haven't mopped my floors for years, got sick of pulling all the sponge/cloth off the floors (splinters) so i just sweep, hopefully once the floors are redone they will be easier to clean.
    lovely colours in the socks there, so soothing & calming.
    mmm, i definitely need to make more soap too.
    glad you had a good weekend
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina. I like these colors, too. I think your floors will be much easier to clean once they are redone. Mine are linoleum. It looks and feels so nice after mopping.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a really lovely weekend! We had birthdays to celebrate here, including my husband's, so I made a simple shortbread which he loves. We shared a beautiful and delicious birthday lunch with a special birthday girl under the tall trees in her family's garden. It was so lovely. I have plenty of cleaning to do here, I mop our timber floors with a mixture of hot water, a squidge of liquid soap and a few drops of peppermint oil. Sometimes, if I've no peppermint oil, I just drop a peppermint tea bag in. Smells so fresh! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful, Meg. I used to rinse mine with cold water and peppermint oil. It smelled divine! Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  7. I never thought to use peppermint oil when I do the floors. What a great idea!
    I imagine it would be excellent as a deterrent in the spring when the rain sends the ants in to visit.
    Thank you both...

    ReplyDelete