Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Charm of Tea Cozies


Yesterday I put the finishing touches on the tea cozy. It is definitely one of my favorite hand knit kitchen items. (I'll spell it both ways in this post.) I'm writing from America, but many of our readers live in other countries. Tea cosies are just so charming and perfect for cottage life. I have a pot of yogi tea brewing on the stove right now. I relish the ritual of flavoring the water with fresh or dried herbs, letting it simmer on the vintage stove, and then straining it into the teapot. I cover the pot with the tea cosy, and enjoy hot tea for hours. It's such a comforting ritual to enjoy while I read blogs and update my Etsy shop. It just makes the house feel like home.


I am so pleased with the way the Noro Silk Garden yarn looks, now that it's all knit up and blocked. It's a lovely blend of mohair, silk, and wool. It's so soft and warm to the touch. I found a few more small balls of it in my stash. Last year I used it to make some slippers for my Christmas sales. There's definitely enough left to make another tea cozy. I think that will be a fun and relaxing project to work on this afternoon. I plan to spend the day at home. I just refilled the hummingbird feeder. The little birds have been enjoying the nectar frequently. I get great pleasure from watching them through the window as I write.


I sold sixteen bars of soap yesterday. What a thrill! This is the busiest time of year at Pink Cottage Soaps. I thrive on the activity. I plan to make another batch of Coconut Dream soap today. It's so creamy, and has a rich, foamy lather.


I am still working on the socks. I would also like to knit some tiny Christmas stockings with my leftover sock yarn. I've been wanting to make those for years, but I always seem to miss the window. Time seems to just fly by in November and December. How are you doing today?

Thank you for your comments. I am always excited to receive them. If the articles here are helpful to you, please share them. 

6 comments:

  1. The tea cozy is perfect! How beautifully the yarns colorway enhances the design.
    I remember my great aunts making those slippers. They called them bed socks. It's nice to see them again looking so so smart and elegant in that yarn. That really is a really is a vintage pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jill. I am so happy with the tea cozy. I agree with you about the colorway. I think the mohair and silk give it a nice drape, too. It's not as stiff as wool. My grandma used to wear slippers like these, too. Hers were pink acrylic. The yarn was probably from Ben Franklin's in those days. Her sister Laura Louise made them for her. I remember complimenting her on them, and secretly wishing that I had a pair...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful tea cozy. You are a very good knitter. As I write this I'm wearing the socks you made. They keep my feet so warm. :)
    It's so good to hear your sales are increasing. Congratulations on recent soap sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you are wearing the socks, Nil. Hand knit socks are a treat. Thank you for the encouragement with my home business.

      Delete
  4. Your cosy actually looks cosy and warm. Warm colours and lovely soft wool. I also enjoy blogging with my teapot. Relaxing and peaceful.
    Your soaps sound very popular and much loved.
    I had a great morning at school assembly where our daughter was a nominee for the Excellence Award. So proud of her. Mum and Dad came along and then we had a lovely lunch together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie. Yes, it is lovely soft wool. Thank you. The soaps are a daily luxury. Congratulations to your daughter!

      Delete