Tuesday, November 21, 2017

My Favorite Meatloaf Recipe



I improvised a meatloaf this afternoon. I used to love the version on the back of the Quaker Oats package when I was a child. It called for tomato juice. I didn't have any, so I used milk. I added cheese and spices to this version. Here is what I developed. It was delicious, (if I do say so myself.) I hope you enjoy it.

My Favorite Meatloaf Recipe

1 lb. ground beef or mince (I use grass fed, 85% lean)
1/2 medium sized onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2-1 tsp. sea salt (depending on taste)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
dash of chili powder
1 egg
1/2 cup of oats (soak  them in the milk)
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, grated

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Spoon into a loaf pan, and make an indentation along the top. Fill the cavity with ketchup. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.



6 comments:

  1. I have just borrowed a book from the library which contains recipes from backs of jar, boxes and packets. Quaker Oats meatloaf is one of those recipes.
    I hope you enjoyed. You can't go past meatloaf. Easy and delicious.
    I remember Mum would slice it and put it on our sandwiches the next day cold for school. It's scrumptious.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great dinner, isn't it, Kylie? You read my mind about the meatloaf sandwiches. I loved having those in my lunchbox as a child.

      Delete
  2. Nice recipe! Mozzarella cheese is a good addition, I need to remember that. I love how you can add all sorts of things and still get a tasty result. Meatloaf is a terrific standby.
    I usually use the oats or leftover brown rice. Like Kylie said, it really is good in a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. I love it with the mozzarella cheese. The brown rice sounds good, too. I also like to use breadcrumbs.

      Delete