Friday, November 10, 2017

Oranges in November and More Soap In The Works



The other day I took a walk through the back orchard, and checked on the citrus trees. This is the Moro Blood Orange tree. It's amazing how many oranges it has. When I looked at the tiny green fruits several months ago, I could barely see them. I didn't think I'd have much of a harvest. I was wrong. This tree seems to produce biannually. There will be a heavy crop year! I am very excited.


The Navel Orange tree is small, but healthy. The lighting in this photo shows the oranges at the bottom of the tree. They are nice and round. They have what looks like a bellybutton on the opposite end of the stem. They are such a delicious, sweet, eating orange. I think this one is my very favorite variety.


I made another batch of Christmas soaps today. The orders keep coming, This time I used shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and cranberry chutney fragrance. They are in the molds, on the kitchen table now, hardening. I will make another soap recipe in a few days. A lady at my dad's bridge club buys them for Christmas gifts. She gives them to all of her friends there.


This is what the shea butter and oils look like when they have almost completely melted. I set them aside while I mix the lye and water together. After letting it cool for twenty minutes, I combine the ingredients with a stick blender. That's when the magic happens!


I started another one of these sock yarn bags. This time I'm using some leftover Christmas yarn that I bought to make socks last year. It will be fun to have a festive bag to take with me to knitting groups in November and December. It's so rewarding to work on holiday crafts.  It makes the home feel cozy. I'm anticipating the colder weather, hot chocolate, freshly baked bread, and homemade soups and stews. How about you? Are you making any Christmas crafts yet?   

8 comments:

  1. Navel oranges are a favourite here too. Do you have plans for your harvest?
    Homemade Christmas gifts are lovely. I tend to give food as a gift. Homemade muesli, Christmas cake, cookies etc. Planning on adding Nuts and Bolts to that list too this year. Will be asking Mum for Nan’s recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to give some of the oranges to neighbors at Christmas time. Not many people here have orange trees. They would make nice marmalade, too. Your gifts sound very thoughtful.

      Delete
  2. sounds good
    i don't do much in the way of xmas themed crafts but i have got back in the habit of gift giving (thanx to DD1) at xmas, mostly to neighbours & close friends; not many like xmas themed items unless they have an Australian twist to them (koalas & other native animals) it gets pretty hot here at our xmas time so the knitted gifts are limited to hand towels & dish cloths mostly.
    love the sound of that soap, luxurously silky & soft.
    mmm, homemade baked bread yummy! mouth is watering just thinking about it & hot cocoa!
    wonderful post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina. That's right, it's hot in Australia for Christmas. I love hand knit dish cloths and hand towels. The bread came out really nicely yesterday. I will blog about it next week. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Hot chocolate is my favorite beverage in winter. I don't make Christmas crafts. Last week I bought a pack of beautiful Christmas cards from the thrift store. If you do crafts check thrift stores, they are full of Christmas items now.
    May be you can make Rhonda's orange cake with navel oranges. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Nil. I will have to stop by the Salvation Army and our local church thrift store. I've made Rhonda's orange cake; it's delicious. I also love cranberry orange bread.

      Delete
  4. I know that a great deal of preparation, precious California water and just plain hard work go into maintaining these fabulous trees, but I can't get over the feeling of sheer luxury at having them and picking fresh, tree ripened citrus from your very own little orchard.
    So fabulous! Enjoy every bite...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. They do require care, but it's not that hard. I feed them homemade compost four times a year, and keep them heavily mulched. We have a watering schedule that works. I always wanted to grow my own fruit, ever since I was a little girl. My ballet teacher grew oranges, and I planned on doing the same thing, after living at her home when I was nineteen. She had a lovely house in Santa Monica.

      Delete