Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Making Hot Processed Soap on Your Stove



This morning I made another batch of hot processed soap. This was the first time that I've used a recipe that wasn't a goat's milk soap using this method. When heated on the stove, the goat's milk soaps turn a caramel color. They are really pretty and natural looking. My dad always requests this variety. "Send me some of the brown ones," he'll say.

Hot processed soap has a special quality. Many people describe it as rustic. I like the mildness of it. I find that  it also has a distinctive lather. I love using it on my face. My sense is that the fragrances smell slightly sweeter when using this technique, too.


This morning the soap I made contained: olive oil, coconut oil, lye, and distilled water. It took about an hour to go through the stages that you need to see. I added some coconut milk, which gave it a nice creamy quality.

After observing it shift into applesauce stage, and then gel, I added yogurt, a small amount of sugar water, sea salt, and fragrance oil. These ingredients made the batter more elastic. It was easier to transfer into the loaf pan, thanks to the additives.. I learned this technique on line from Valerie Mosher. She makes soap in Nova Scotia. She is a wonderful teacher, and has numerous Youtube videos.


I colored a cup of the mixture with some Brazilian rose clay. I plopped it into three different places, and did some swirling. I used a piece of tie wire that I had in my toolbox. With the end of a wooden spoon, I outlined  some small figure eights and circles along the top of the loaf.


Once the loaf  had come to room temperature, I carefully placed the silicone mold in the freezer. When I got home from running my errands, the colors looked paler, which I really like. They have a milky, flexible quality, which is really pretty. I made these less than twelve hours ago, and just cut them. It's exciting to see how the colors turned out in the swirls. These will be ready to ship in a couple of weeks. A four week cure will make them nice and hard. I love this method. Thank you Valerie.  

6 comments:

  1. They look soft and delicate. I'm with your Dad in that I would request 'the brown ones'. That made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes me chuckle, Kylie. The brown ones are really nice, pure, goat's milk soaps. I use them as facial soaps.

      Delete
  2. I am fascinated by the science, alchemy and pure art of soap making. There are so many creative options to make this valuable and necessary product that tends to be overlooked as mundane and ordinary.
    I need to start reading and learning more more about soapmaking!

    Other than the color, what do you feel are the differences between the cold and hot processed goats,s milk soap?



    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it fascinating, too, Jill. Most soap makers sell cut bars that are hot processed. The consistency is a little different. It's hard to explain, but you can tell it's been cooked. With cold processed soaps, you can get a refined bar by using detailed molds. Valerie is able to mold her hot processed soap as well. Her additions make the soap batter more fluid and flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soaps are just lovely! I would like to make my own soap too, I did a little course on how to make it (quite a while ago) and I have everything I need but I never seem to get around to it. I will have to put it on my 2019 list! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Meg! I just saw your comment today. I was rereading this post because I want to make another batch using this method. I put it off for a while, too. I think you will be an excellent soapmaker.

    ReplyDelete