Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Simplifying Christmas


I've always lived fairly simply. As a professional dancer, my focus was on training and performing. We were gypsies, and traveled much of the time. I resided in a different city for fifteen years in a row. I loved staying in hotels, seeing the world, and eating out in restaurants. We were so spoiled.

Once I bought my cottage, my lifestyle changed. For the first time since I was a teenager, I  had a dog. I decorated my home for Christmas. I bought vintage and antique furniture. I began to flourish in my nest. It was grounding to garden, grow food, cook, bake, and clean.


At Christmastime, I keep decorating simple. I have a few decorations that I put up each year. Most of them my mom gave to me. I hang a red wreath on the front door each year, and string brightly colored lights on the two live Christmas trees that flank the front door. I planted them twenty years ago. They were tiny at that time, and now they are large and majestic. I love the fact that they present the house for the holidays each year. I get so many compliments on them. They are easy to maintain, as well. I just water them, keep them well mulched, and feed them a few doses of compost tea.

My mother used to get very overwhelmed by Christmas. She put so much pressure on herself. She spent hours and hours decorating, until our home looked like Saks Fifth Avenue. She was incredibly talented, but it took her all day to put up those expensive decorations. She dreaded putting everything away after Christmas. Eventually she stopped decorating for the holidays at all. It was just too much work. Everything sat in boxes in the dark, damp basement. She was a very all or nothing personality. I've learned that less is more, as the saying goes.


I decided to make things easy on myself, and  just have one box of decorations to pull out each year. Everything  inside the house is done in about thirty minutes.  I hang the outside lights separately, the next day. My routine is to start putting things up the day after Thanksgiving. It gives the house a cozy feeling, and is very doable. It's nice not to feel upset, anxious, or pressured.

I take the same approach with the cooking, baking, and gifts. I will write more about this in upcoming posts. It is enjoyable and fun to have a simple holiday without stress and overwork. How about you?

Thank you for your comments. They are such a gift. If the articles here help you, please share them. 

  

6 comments:

  1. I love the wreath you have in the kitchen.
    Simple decorations are the best. This year I don't plan to decorate, may be I will change the wreath on the front door. But I love driving through the area at night to see Christmas decorations. Already most my neighbors have put up their Christmas lights, and it looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing that, too, Nil. The lights have such a magical effect.

      Delete
  2. Our tree and decorations will be going up Friday. We do it together with the kids and keep it simple enough. It takes about one hour to do the tree and place decorations around. We always have Christmas carols playing whilst we decorate.
    Mum always has Christmas Day at her place but everyone puts in and we are always relaxed. Every year we comment on just how relaxing the day was and how much we enjoyed it. I don't like rushing around either so all of my presents have already been purchased, wrapped and put away except for one. I'll be picking up my husband's pressie on Tuesday and then all done. No need to be out shopping with the crowds.
    Your cottage looks so peaceful and relaxing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have some wonderful traditions. That's great that you are so organized with your gifts!

      Delete
  3. We don't do a lot of holiday decorating here either. We bought an artificial tree 27 years ago which is rather large! All the branches have to be put in and fluffed up, then lights strung on it. DH is in charge of fluffing and lights on the tree. I would guess that almost all of the ornaments have a story behind them. Basically our tree looks like a snap-shot of our family's life. I hang a few artificial holly sprigs on the picture frames, put a garland on the fireplace mantle, and put out the tattered old snowmen and candle holders the boys made in school 20 plus years ago. A wreath on the front door and I am finished.

    We don't do lights outside the house (DH refuses), but our extended neighborhood does luminaries. A local Boy Scout troop sells kits of 20 white paper bags and votive candles to all the houses. On Christmas Eve they drive by and drop a little sand which goes in the paper bag. The candles go in the sand and everyone places the lit bags down their driveway and up the sidewalk in front of their home. It is so lovely. Hundreds of cars drive around to see it. Fairly famous annual event here.

    By the way-everything is dismantled and put away the day after Christmas. Christmas is over on Dec 26 around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing what a wreath on the door can do, Anita. We used to have those luminaries in Santa Fe, New Mexico. They were soft and beautiful...

    ReplyDelete