Monday, November 27, 2017

Do Dogs Grieve?


After Carlie died, I became very worried about Lana. She appeared listless and depressed. Apathetic, and uninterested in food, she seemed to be at death's door. A couple of friends pointed out to me that she was probably grieving. I was afraid that I was going to lose her, too. I even said good bye to her, and thanked her for all that she had done for me. 


Once we started having Lula over each day, Lana perked up and seemed rejuvenated. Lula is only a year old, and she is very playful and happy. This energy immediately rubbed off on Lana. They got used to a morning routine of having a run on the Walkydog, playing frisbee in the backyard, and taking a weekly hike.



Each morning, after all of that running around, I bring Lula and Lana  inside, while I made a pot of tea. Lula laps up the water enthusiastically, and then plops herself on the floor. Both dogs seem to thrive on the exercise and physical exertion. It has the same effect on me. Movement is so important for mental and emotional health.



Lana's skin infection has finally healed. I finally took her for a second opinion,  and the new vet shaved the areas around her sores.  He also gave  her a steroid shot, and some medication. The new medicine and medicated shampoo have worked wonders. She has put back on weight, and no longer looks so skinny and afflicted. She's become playful and impish. It's so nice to see a senior dog so joyful and silly. She's enjoying her new Christmas toy. I saved it. My mom used to give me lots of dog toys as gifts when she was alive. I have stored them in with my Christmas decorations.  It's funny how the dogs notice when it's a new toy. This one has a terrific squeaker. How are your dogs doing?

Thank you for your comments. They really the blog more interesting. If you enjoyed this post, please share it.
 


12 comments:

  1. of cos dogs grieve, anyone who says they don't is an idiot; though like humans you get different types of grieving B.B grieved for months when Teddy died, then around the time of the anniversary of his death she would grieve again, it was very weird bit like i am with xmas (lost my grandma xmas eve 1966) am always sad & that's how B.B was too. some dogs get over it quickly others don't. same as we do.
    so glad she has perked up too, she is looking well & she looks happy; she mustn't like being alone, so would notice the absence of her friend more.
    interesting post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, I know what you mean. My mom and I had the same birthday, and I feel very sad on that day since her death. Thanks for noticing Lana's improvement. It's such a relief.

      Delete
  2. They do grieve. Don't do it as it would be mean, but all you'd have to do is say, "Where's Charlie?" in an enthusiastic voice. She would be looking all over. My mom's dog was horrible when his buddy died. You couldn't even mention the name. I am glad you have Lula to liven her spirits and keep her company. They look ready to run seated in the car 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, They absolutely LOVE riding in the car. It's so funny. Lula is a sweetheart. She has a fantastic temperament.

      Delete
  3. I think dogs do miss each other. Especially the company. Our Samson used to share his bed with another Customs dog we puppy walked called Wolf. Once Wolf went back to Customs it was like Samson was waiting for him to return. To this day he only sleeps on his side of the bed.
    So happy to hear Lana is doing so well. Lula and and Lana are very well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad, Kylie. They are pack animals. It makes sense.

      Delete
  4. Animals grieve profoundly.
    In just one example, my lab-shepherd mourned so deeply for her favorite cat that she hid the special toy that they played with together every day. She only brought it out late at night to hug on her bed and clean carefully and gently. Nobody was ever allowed to see this happen. Toy was returned to hiding before it got light.
    She did this for over a year. Her sister-dog did console her but it was a special relationship and took its toll.
    It broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, Oh, how sweet. Carlie was very attached to her toys, too. They are such wonderful companions.

      Delete
  5. We don't have dogs, but growing up we always had Scotties. They were always so much fun and had so much personality. Yes, dogs grieve and are very aware of human emotions and reactions. The photo of both dogs in the car makes me smile. They look like they are ready for "mom" to drive them to the next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anita, Your Scotties sound wonderful. I've learned a lot about healing from these dogs. They are so appreciative of the day trips and play sessions. Sometimes they'll go sit by the car and look at me wistfully...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think dogs keenly feel loss and grieve the passing of their companions. We had two beautiful dogs before our lovely Sir Steve joined our family. They were our Buddy and Molly, born together in the same litter and never apart. When Buddy died, Molly was inconsolable and looked for him everywhere. She missed him terribly. Glad your Lana is doing so much better, she has something to look forward to when Luna comes over and they play and go walking. Lovely that she's doing well. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Meg. Lula loves it, too. She always slows down when we ride by my house as if to say, "Don't forget that I want to play ball with Lana." They really look forward to their time together. Your dogs sound very sweet.

    ReplyDelete