Friday, November 24, 2017

Enjoying Thanksgiving Leftovers



I hope those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving had a peaceful and relaxing holiday. Most of us here in America  have been eating the leftovers today, and they are so delicious! I think that's my favorite part, reheating all of that delicious food, and enjoying a well anticipated plate for lunch and dinner. It brings back great memories with my Aunt Mary. She was such a kind and fun woman. She made holidays really special.


My mom and dad and I used to prepare the meal when I was a child and teenager. It was a huge feast. As I got older, I simplified it and pared it down to what I call "the greatest hits". I stuff a chicken with Mrs. Cubbinson's stuffing. My grandma used to bring it with her to us in San Mateo, all the way from Los Angeles. She would pack it in her suitcase. You couldn't find Mrs. Cubbinson's dressing in the Bay Area. We always added cubes of butter, sauteed onion and celery, chicken broth, and sage. When I make the stuffing now, I always think of my mother. She was such an excellent cook. I miss her.


I tried a new recipe for cranberry sauce this year. It has orange juice and orange rind. I picked an orange from my navel tree. It turned out really nicely. I love those two flavors together. I baked an apple cranberry cobbler, and plan to make some orange cranberry bread in the next week or two.

Some of you asked about the open mike night that I performed in last Friday. It was so much fun! We have a wonderful book store in town called The Open Book. It is very close to my cottage. Once a month, they have an evening where live performers can take the stage.  I did some songs and a short tap dance. I was so energized by the experience. I plan to return again next month, as well. I loved that it was just a short drive from my home. Normally I would have to drive much further participate in something like this. There are also opportunities in Hollywood and Burbank, as well. This one is just a few miles from my house. They served freshly brewed coffee and Pepperidge Farm cookies, too. It was really enjoyable.   

Thank you for your comments. I greatly appreciate them. They add so much to the blog.

14 comments:

  1. Your food looks so yummy. Hope you are have relaxing Thanksgiving holiday.
    If I lived nearby I would come see you sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I hope you are having a relaxing holiday, too. That would be fun to have you in the audience...

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, Stephenie.
    What a delicious looking feast you prepared! I agree that leftover are the very best. You have some wonderful memories, it's nice of you to share the with us.

    Your local open mike night is such an excellent opportunity. Did anyone else that you know perform as well? I hope everyone there had a great tie. Nothing better than a live, intimate performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. My neighbor was planning to perform, but he changed his mind at the last minute. I enjoyed watching the other people there. I agree with you about live theater.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving Stephanie. Ours was quiet but good, and today has been beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good news, Lady Locust. I'm glad that you're having such nice weather.

      Delete
  4. Your Mum would be so happy knowing you make her stuffing and think of her each time.
    Now that Apple Cranberry Cobbler looks absolutely delicious. It's making me very hungry.
    I love seeing tap dancers perform. I find the sounds so relaxing. Glad you enjoyed it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie. The recipe for the apple cranberry cobbler is on my blog. I think you and your family would like it.

      Delete
  5. Your meal looks so tasty! I am glad to read about another cook who believes in stuffing a turkey. There seems to be a move against it these days probably because of fear about undercooked stuffing. You just need to know how to properly cook poultry! And make an oven thermometer your best friend! Thanksgiving always brings back memories of my mom too. She was a wonderful cook.

    I am so happy your open mike night was a success. I wish I could be there the next time to see you perform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. I love the way the dressing tastes after cooking inside of the turkey. I stuffed a small chicken. It was delicious.

      That would be so fun to have you at a performance! Hope you had a fun Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  6. Oh, look at that pie. I can almost smell it from here and I'm a big ocean away! What lovely food traditions to carry on. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I love this recipe. The homemade crust makes such a difference.

      Delete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving. Your open mike experience sounded amazing, how exciting xx

    ReplyDelete