Thursday, November 2, 2017

Art and Housekeeping


Yesterday I sold a couple of olive oil and pink clay swirled soaps. That was exciting. It's always a thrill to make a sale.   Today I spent a good portion of the day on housekeeping. I vacuumed the living room, bedroom and kitchen. I moved the furniture and wiped down the baseboards with a rag doused in white vinegar and water. There were a few dirty spots along the wall and front door from where Lana had  laid against it, so I rubbed off those stains. Fortunately, my house is painted with a semi gloss paint, so the walls are easy to clean.

I vacuumed the couch and cushions. Afterward, I wiped the couch down with a wet rag, and was amazed at how much dog hair had been removed. No wonder the couch looked dusty. Carlie, my German Shepherd, used to shed profusely, and I think most of it was leftover from when she was still with us.


I found this really cute little chair down in front of  my neighbor's house. She left it out for whoever wanted it, so I brought it home. I had been searching for a vintage chair or stool to use with my Singer Featherweight sewing machine. This looks really sweet. I'm pleased with it. I plan to polish it up with some olive oil or Old English furniture oil.

I cleared out some stereo equipment that I used to use when I was teaching dance and yoga. There's no point in holding on to a CD player that no longer works. I'm going to tackle my closet tomorrow. It feels good to be addressing the chores and tasks that I had been avoiding. I need to clean the refrigerator, as well.




This little drawing was given to me by my neighbor on my bike ride this morning. I think she is a wonderful little artist. I told her that I will find a special place to hang it. I also love this little ceramic house that I bought years ago. It was made in Italy. The colors and detail are so pretty.  


After running the dogs this morning, I came home and  washed my alpaca throw. I filled the bathtub with a few inches of water, and  used some of the liquid soap that I make on the stove. After rinsing it, I hung it out to dry on the pomegranate bush. It worked really well, and the fresh air blew through the hand knit stitches. I also washed a cashmere sweater in the sink. Tomorrow I will mend a small hole in it that I discovered underneath the arm. That Nina Spinner really pulls the water out of hand washables. They dry so quickly after using it. It's fabulous! How is your housekeeping going?

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the soap sale. I love your "new" chair. It looks great with you sewing station. Do you sew much? Your knitting is beautiful but didn't know you sewed. You've been holding out on us 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Lady Locust, No, I don't see much, I want to learn. I have made curtains. I have some vintage fabric that would make pretty aprons. I need to watch some YouTube videos.

      Delete
  2. You have been so busy. It is a great feeling getting things done and gets the momentum moving. Our Samson also sheds a lot of fur and it is difficult to remove. Friends of our have a dog with a woollen coat and absolutely no shedding at all.
    Have a lovely Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie. The house feels so much better now. It's much easier to clean with less stuff. Lana has a short coat, so that helps, too. Samson is beautiful.

      Delete
  3. had to look up the nina sspinner, didn't have a clue what you were referring to lol it's a small dryer by what i found on google. i just spin things out in the washing machine, most of my woollies are all machine washable as well.
    love your new chair! totally gorgeous & can't wait to see it polished.
    housework & i still don't get along, not much of a cleaner i'm afraid.
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, Yes, it's a spin dryer. They use them in Europe at the pools, to dry out your swimsuit. I love mine. It really shortens the drying time. Most of my knits have to be hand washed. I know what you mean about the housework. I'm committing to two hours a day. I just had to cut back on the knitting. ha ha!

      Delete
  4. That little chair fits so nicely with your singer machine Stephanie, what a great find!

    I enjoy reading a good homemaking post, reminds me of simpler times and that I should be doing my housekeeping instead of sitting on here lol!

    Beautiful soap and gorgeous little ceramic cottage ornament, it is so cute :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. It's well made, too. I feel the same way. My mom did housework all day. That was before we had the Internet. The soap is a treat. I love the lather.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love children's drawing. There is such innocence and joy in them often. I think your new-to-you chair is lovely too. It seems just perfect in your photo. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love children's art, too, Meg. There's so much energy and creativity in it. She told me that is she, her sister, and me. I love all the pink, and the big smiles.

    ReplyDelete