Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Cooking Takes Time, But It's Worth It



This morning I did my grocery shopping. I took the bus, since I try to use only one tank of gasoline per month. I would like to do some more hiking with the dogs this week, so I will use my bicycle and public transportation for other errands.


This is the way I walk to the produce store to buy my fruits and vegetables. The bus lets me off about a mile from here. Instead of taking a second bus, I walk. It's good exercise, and I enjoy the scenery. I saw a couple of ducks on the lawn as I passed by the lake. There were a few of them in  the water, as well. I'd forgotten how much I love ducks. There is something so peaceful and natural about them.They seem to have such a pleasant life, swimming and socializing. 


I came home,  made some pasta sauce, and cooked up a pot of spaghetti. That made a hearty lunch. It takes time to prepare healthy foods, but it's so worth it. For dinner, I chopped up some beets and carrots to cook, and put a Russet potato in the oven. I added an extra one for Lana. She loves potatoes.


I also simmered  a pot of yogi tea on the vintage stove. I put cinnamon, cardamom seeds, ginger, black peppercorns, nutmeg, and water into one of my Le Creuset pots. After straining it and adding soy milk, I poured it into the teapot. I eagerly covered it with my new tea cozy. It really does keep the tea hot for quite a while. It's so much fun to use the special items that you knit. It's like having a new toy. I just love the colors of that Noro yarn. They are spectacular!

12 comments:

  1. I always go for the walking option too. Good exercise mentally and physically. I park far away too.
    I’d forgotten about spinach pasta. Will buy some tomorrow when I do our weekly shop.
    Your bowl of pasta and sauce looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, I agree about the exercise. I think it also helps us to sleep well. There's something about cardio and circulation that is so balancing and healing. The pasta was delicious. It has artichoke flour in it, too.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely area! As a family we also love ducks. When our youngest son was in the third grade he had an assignment to write an essay about an animal. For some unknown reason he selected DUCKS! It has been a special relationship ever since (he is 27 years old now). The duck ponds are always on the list whenever DH and I go to the San Diego Zoo or the Wild Animal Park. Ducks also are regular visitors from our local lake.

    Your meals sound wonderful. I am attempting a cheese soufflé tomorrow-wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, The cooking adventure sounds fun. I really enjoy ducks. They are so sweet. It would be fun to have some as pets. I loved having chickens. Happy cooking...

      Delete
  3. What a lovely walk. I love ducks too. I can just see you making that tea in cottage with that delightful tea cosy - something else we share a love of! Have a great day, Wendy (aka Emeline)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, Emeline!!! How nice to see you here. Thanks for visiting. Yes, I'm still excited about the tea cosy. Will have to list some of them in the Etsy shop.

      Delete
  4. Your friend's sauce recipe looks decadent and tasty! How long does it simmer? I really need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill, That it is. My friend didn't say how long to let it simmer. I was kind of in a hurry, so I ate lunch after cooking it for about twenty minutes. I'm sure the longer, the better, for the flavors to mingle. Let me know how you like it. It is now one of my new favorite recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely walk you have to the shops, the lake is beautiful. I love food cooked from scratch, so much nicer xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Cheryl. Yes, it is a lovely walk from the bus stop. I think that food cooked from scratch is the best, too. I prefer it most of the time to eating out at a restaurant. It's much less expensive, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this today for an early supper and it really was delicious!

    I added some already steamed chard slivers and it was a special meal.
    Like you, I added garlic because...garlic!!... and a few sprigs of thyme, rosemary, parsley and bay that I had drying in the kitchen. I just can't not tinker and they were right there staring at me, so....

    It is a smooth, rich and creamy sauce but it isn't the least bit oily or heavy. I froze the rest in portions for lovely future meals. I think it will make a special addition to a really elegant pizza.

    Thank you for sharing this with us....and thank your friend as well.
    I love how the web facilitates sharing and celebrations across countries with recipes and stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jill, Fantastic! Your version sounds delicious. I added some herbs, as well. I added some sausage to mine today. It was fabulous. I will thank my friend for you. He's an excellent cook.

    ReplyDelete