Friday, November 3, 2017

Mending and Darning


Today I plan to mend that hole in the underarm of my blue cashmere sweater. I have some embroidery floss that matches the yarn exactly. I've used it before in a couple of spots, and it blends in perfectly. I love this sweater, and if I take care of it, it will last me for many more years. I bought it fifteen years ago at an after Christmas sale at T.J. Maxx. It was marked down to $28.00, which is a fantastic price, especially for one that has cables.



Today I took the bus into town, and bought some things I needed at T.J. Maxx and Ross. I finally bought some new dish towels. Mine had become so old and dingy looking. These are colorful and bright. I also picked up a pack of Ghiradelli Hot Chocolate. I normally just use Hershey's, and add the sugar and vanilla to the hot milk. There were so many tempting candies stacked on the shelves near the checkout! I was reading all of the labels on the packages, and my mouth was watering. I didn't buy anything, though. Instead, I went to the grocery store and picked up a bag of milk chocolate chips. Today I plan to bake a batch of Toll House Cookies. I have all of the other ingredients in my stockpile. I plan to take some with me tomorrow to share with my crochet group. It's so much fun to bake! I am so happy that the weather has gotten colder. It's wonderful to make hot lunches and my favorite dinner recipes in the kitchen again. Cooking and baking is such great therapy. I love the way it makes the cottage smell and feel.



In the early morning I have been making a cup of cafe au lait  and sitting on the couch. It's still dark outside, yet it feels warm and cozy underneath the hand knit alpaca throw. I light a candle and listen to relaxing music.  After Lana comes back inside from relieving herself,  I tuck her back into bed underneath a crocheted blanket that I made. She seems to appreciate it. Older dogs are more sensitive to cold, like people. California is sunny during the day, but the temperatures at night can really drop into the lower temperatures.

This afternoon I've got to turn the heel on the sock I'm knitting, and clean the refrigerator. That's a big task, but I always feel so relieved when it's completed. How are things going  in your home?     

10 comments:

  1. Your mornings sound absolutely perfect. What a wonderful relaxing start to your day. Lana certainly does look very appreciative of your warmth and care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie. The cottage is feeling better and better with all of the cleaning, laundering, and organizing.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing about your day. Posts like yours make me happy because you are sharing your real life-not a jazzed up set of experiences. I am able to relate because I strive to have a calm and quiet life myself.

    I too have a cable cashmere sweater that I love, love, love. I store in with lavender sachets (dried from my garden) in a plastic zip bag to keep the moths away. They say you shouldn't store cashmere that way, but I always launder it after wearing and have not had any issues.

    I have been thinking about joining a knitting/crocheting group that meets weekly at our neighborhood Swim and Tennis club. I don't know if I am a good enough knitter to join in with their projects though. But maybe I can learn to crochet with them!

    Finally-love the photo of Lana under her blanket. She looks so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita, I think you are an expert knitter! Your afghans look amazing. Most of us at our group bring simple projects to work on in when we meet, since it's so easy to make a mistake while socializing. I bet those ladies would love to have you. Lana is such a cutie. She does have a very happy disposition. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about your day. Like I always say, your home looks so cozy and inviting.
    Good for you for mending clothes to extend their life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. It feels good to fix and mend. As the saying goes, "A stitch in time saves nine."

      Delete
  5. Lana looks so cozy! I do the same thing for my dogs after their first very early outside trip. They get a good morning cookie while they snuggle and I drink my first coffee.

    I'm a mender too. Like you, I keep clothing a really long time...REALLY long... with proper care and maintenance I can keep my comfy old friends around and looking good for quite a while. I'm glad to know there are more of us!













    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, Yes, it's a good feeling to get clothing mended. I buy things that I love, and keep them forever. I feel the same way about furniture and dishes. The antique and vintage styles are so lovely and well made.

      Delete
  6. awesome, makes me think about cleaning my place lol, you make it sound so easy!
    mending woollens will keep them longer plus don't wash them too much they don't usually need it; my work jumpers get washed more frequently but they get dirty, i use very little powder when i wash.
    Lana looks so cosy there, makes you want to jump right under the blanket with her!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one thing I like about wool sweaters, Selina. They don't need to be washed as often as cotton clothing. I use a little bit of my homemade liquid soap. Time to hand wash my cashmere bathrobe in the tub, Happy cleaning...

    ReplyDelete