Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Reducing Your Monthly Expenses



As I've gotten older, there is one thing that I've learned to do that has really reduced my stress. I've changed my spending habits. So much of how we treat our money is ingrained behavior. Most of us spend  the way our parents did. It takes conscious development to alter those habits. Qualities like maturity, delayed gratification, and impulse control come into play.

When I was a professional dancer, I reinvested  a large percentage of my weekly salary into dance classes and vocal training. Those expenditures were also deductions on my tax return, so they were worth it. They also kept me in top condition.  When I went to auditions, I was confident and capable. Training and practice are so important when you are working in the arts. Show business is very competitive. Only the top one percent of dancers are able to make a living at it, professionally.


When I switched to teaching dance and yoga full time, my income dropped. Dance teachers generally don't make nearly as much money as professional performers. When touring with an Equity show, you can really save a high percentage of what you earn. The pay is excellent. Shifting to being a dance teacher was quite an adjustment. I had a lot of trouble with my finances during those years.  I found the cost of class music, dance clothes and shoes, daunting. Commuting, keeping an older car maintained, and owning a home as a single woman stressed me. I was now paying for my own medical insurance, property taxes, and home repairs. These large bills really seemed to eat up my paycheck. I wasn't used to having them, and I didn't plan for them in advance. That's what I needed to do. Some of the studio owners were paying me late. Others were bouncing checks, or forgetting to sign them.  Many only paid once  a month. I began using credit cards to buy groceries and gasoline. I told myself it was just until payday. I always intended to reimburse myself  once I got my check. I started to experience a lot of unexpected things going wrong. The water heater would break, or I'd have an unplanned vet emergency. I was really living on the edge.  I struggled with credit card debt for fifteen years. In hindsight, I'd say that I was under earning.

Once I got out of debt, and began working for myself, my finances came into balance. My cottage was now paid off, which made a huge difference. I started using public transportation and riding my bicycle regularly.  I bought a train pass one weekend, for ten dollars. I could take it anywhere in Los Angeles. It was fun to sit,  knit, and to watch the world go by through the window.


I scrutinized my bills. I cut out television, restaurants, Starbucks, and buying books. I started ordering  books  from the library. It's so easy to do now, with the Internet. I had always cooked my meals at home, but I began making more soups, bone broths, and stews. I bought less meat. I cut my grocery bill by 40 percent. I began baking bread. I had always baked cookies, cakes, and desserts in my kitchen. I was pleased to discover that homemade bread was very inexpensive and delicious.

Overspending on groceries was one of  my weak areas. I used to reward myself for working hard  by buying lots of treats at Trader Joe's. I loved their pumpkin pie mousse cake, Belgian chocolate, and bagged white cheddar popcorn. I was spending $100.00 a week for groceries as a single person! I didn't realize at that age that the amount was very high. It was so easy to buy a few packaged items or expensive dog treats as I stood in line at the checkout counter.

I even went car free for a year. That was interesting, but challenging. It can take all day in Los Angeles to go from where I live to an audition in Burbank and get home. It was also exhausting. I switched to being car light. That's the best of both worlds.

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them.  If you find the articles on this blog helpful, please share them. 

11 comments:

  1. wow that bread looks awesome!
    i'm not a very good cook as never had the encouragement needed from parents never enjoyed it anyway; these days however i just do very simple things for dinner & atm i have eggs on toast for brekkie (my own chooks help) but have been there struggling to make ends meet too; not very pleasant.
    you've done well to have paid off your house, i'm still paying mine off but that's my only big debt i have now; my spending vices are or is buying wool, especially when it comes down at special prices! i also have a paid online game i like to pay, i don't use a 'credit' card but i have a Visa debit card instead. just recently though i have noticed that the grocery has increased in prices, it's only by a few cents but when it goes across everything you buy can start making the money disappear faster!
    there is also no public transport out here, so can't save there, i do try & grow some food, though thats a struggle with the hot dry conditions here too.
    great post, you always have interesting topics.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to have public transportation here. It's free for seniors. I know what you mean about the hot, dry weather. Things get crispy here in the heat of the summer. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Hi Stephenie,
    Getting rid of debts, paying off mortgage and paying for full health insurance as a self employed single person must have been extremely difficult. What an amazing accomplishment! Well done.

    At the moment I have health insurance from my work, but I know that when I retire I'll have to have enough money to cover insurance and any out of pocket medical expenses. That's why I try to save as much as possible now and invest. I have friends who are self employed and they struggle to pay health insurance. One is a dance teacher and I thought about her while reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, You have amazing discipline with your grocery budget and savings plan. I'm sure you will be fine, because you are such a planner. It was very challenging as a dance teacher. I loved the artistic side, but it was a struggle, financially.

      Delete
  3. That is an amazing turn around. You've come such a long way. Your commitment and hard work has really paid off. It also leads to less stress money wise but also health wise too. Walking more, eating differently and satisfaction. Well done.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie. I always ate well, but had a sweet tooth. I still do. It's a relief not to be so stressed about money, that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. That's great Stephanie. It's true we pick up our parents' financial habits. And it really does take effort to recognize and change. I bet it's a comfort to know the cottage is paid off. We're still working on our mortgage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lady Locust, Yes, it is. It's also a huge relief to be debt free, I only use cash or a debit card now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being debt-free is the reason DH and I have been able to retire. I am in charge of all the money in our house which is the way both of our parents ran things. We refer to it as the Samurai method because (supposedly) in old Japan Mr. Samurai would go off and do his Samurai business and forward all the associated bills to Mrs. Samurai. Mrs. Samurai would settle up and when Mr. Samurai come home he would present Mrs. Samurai all of his money earned from Samurai adventures. So all money earned in our house in goes into one account and I pay everything. Anything leftover is moved into savings. We paid off our home several years ago (about 4 years early) and with that obligation over I faithfully put the old house payment amount into savings as well. Your story is inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That's great, Anita. Knitting and retirement go well together, don't you think? Congratulations on achieving your goals.

      Delete