Monday, October 2, 2017

A Fun Weekend and Some Good News


I hope you enjoyed your weekend. I sure did. On Saturday morning,  I met with a childhood  friend and her mom for breakfast. We trained together at her family's dance studio from age nine to eighteen. Her mom was our ballet and jazz teacher. Her grandfather was our tap teacher! We both ended up dancing and singing professionally in Broadway shows. She was the dance captain on Broadway in CATS, and I toured Europe and the USA with many of the tap musicals.

It was a quick and easy drive down to Burbank, and there wasn't any traffic at that time. Normally there are masses of cars on the Los Angeles freeways. I made the trip in thirty minutes, and found a parking spot right out in front, which was very lucky.  We went to a beautiful restaurant and had a really nice meal and conversation. The ambiance out on the patio was lovely. It's always such a treat to catch up with old friends and teachers, especially dance teachers.  


When we returned  home to Julietta's apartment, I gave each of them a bar of my homemade soap. I had also brought a bag of hand knit items, and had them pick out what they liked. Julietta chose a hand knit cotton dishcloth, and Dee selected these vintage style  slippers. They fit her perfectly. She told me that she has some alpaca yarn at home that she is going to give me. (I am always so fortunate when it comes to receiving free yarn!)




I've made a lot of progress on the Lost In Time shawl. I'm up to the repeats now, which is the home stretch.  It's gotten much easier. I brought it with me to a small knitting group at the library yesterday, and I was able to work on it while having a conversation. A week ago I needed total silence to do this pattern.  I completed a couple of long rows with no problems. I feel like crocheting this shawl has really helped me with my skills. I've learned some new stitches, and  am able to differentiate and count them quickly now.

I ran my neighbor's dog this morning, and she gave me the news that soon they will be moving into a new rental house. The one down the street, where they have been living, has sold. She told me that I am first on the list to take her Labradoodle, since the new owner doesn't allow pets. I absolutely love this dog, so I am thrilled. Lana and she get on very well, and Lana acts like a puppy after she's around her. Lula is very well trained and has an excellent temperament. She's highly intelligent and sensitive. Labradoodles are used as guide dogs in Australia. Such good fortune. How was your weekend?    

15 comments:

  1. Friends of our had a Labradoodle and he was a beautiful dog with a fantastic temperament. Such exciting news that your on top of the list for Lula. I'm sure she will be so happy to be part of your family.
    Saturday morning sounds like it was perfect for you all. It really nourishes you catching up with lovely friends.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how Lula is, too. She's really special. We hiked on Saturday, and she was in her glory.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Lula is coming HOME!!!
    I'm so happy for all of you. It was clear that the three of you were meant to be a family. Let the hikes begin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, I adore her. We've been hiking regularly, but it will be fun to have her here all the time. She's so sweet and good natured.

      Delete
  3. P.S...that shawl is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like how it looks on the couch. Soon it will be ready to wear!

      Delete
  4. Lana and Lula-it is meant to be with those names! I hope they don't get into too much mischief since you might become tongue-tied scolding them!! The shawl is so beautiful! Keep us updated on the progress. My eldest son's afghan is almost finished and I am wondering what will be next on the needles. Our trip to Singapore starts on Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, The sale of the house fell through, but we still enjoy time with Lula each day. We don't really know what will happen. I'm glad you like the shawl. Thanks for the encouragement. I love that afghan you have been making. It's so complex. Your trip sounds exciting!

      Delete
  5. Oh, that's so great that you are getting Lula. I love that name. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. It may happen at a later date. We will see. Real estate is unpredictable.

      Delete
  6. How exciting, Anita! I love their names together, too. They look so cute in the back seat of the car. Congratulations on the afghan. I love the photos I saw. It's very complex. So glad you like the shawl. It's a fun pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh fun times! It's nice too that Lula already knows you so the transition should be pretty smooth. Glad you had a nice time with old friends. There's a comfort in that. Also, love that statue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a sweetie, Lady Locust. My friend has lots of lovely artwork in her home. You should see the paintings!

      Delete
  8. glad you had a good time catching up with old friends, it's always a feel good occasion i find.
    i had to look the guide dogs up, i've never seen a'labradoodle' used for a guide dog, only the labradors, it was interesting reading. it was mainly for those those who have allergies.
    Luna looks like a lovely dog & obviously your old girl enjoys her company after losing her life friend. well if she's meant to be yours, she will be, good luck.
    your shawl is looking lovelier every time i see it, those colours are gorgeous together.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, She is staying with her family for now, which is positive. They are all so sweet. Thanks for the compliment on the shawl. It's a very rewarding project...

      Delete