Monday, October 9, 2017

Growing Fruits and Vegetables in the Winter


When I first bought my cottage, I planted zucchini, pumpkins, and tomatoes during the warm season.  I haven't done that in several years. I think I stopped around the time  my hips  had deteriorated. Now that they have been replaced, and the muscles are strong and healthy, I am ready  to get back in the game. I love growing the cold weather veggies, because they take less water and care. We have such hot weather in June, July, and August, that I just don't enjoy working outside. It takes hours to  feed, water, and care for a vegetable garden. I have good intentions when I start, but once the dog days of summer arrive, I find that I lose my enthusiasm.


Yesterday I planted artichokes, heirloom lettuces, spinach, and strawberries. I was pleased to see that my soil is still looking healthy and vibrant. I added a lot of homemade compost to each planting hole, and filled the cavities with water. I mulched the entire garden with fresh straw. It really works its magic over time. I lifted  the blanket of mulch from an area along the side garden, and the soil underneath it was black and rich. The homemade compost that I use was filled with tiny red wiggler worms. They arrived on their own; I didn't have to buy them. I think they were attracted to the horse manure that I had collected and deposited in the pile after one of my hikes. There is no trace of it remaining in the mountain of yard and produce trimmings anymore, it has transformed into rich, black, alive, organic matter.


Last night I made a salad with the tender greens from the heirloom lettuces that I had just transplanted. It was simple and delicious. I had forgotten how much better salads taste with the young, fresh, homegrown baby greens. The ones that I buy at the store are larger, and more mature. They have a completely different flavor than these delicate leaves. It will be nice to make fresh garden salads for the next several months.


I plan to make a bucket full of compost tea today, and let it sit in the sunshine. It makes such a wonderful plant food. I fed it to my pink geraniums, and they are blooming nicely.  They are so hardy and dependable.

 

14 comments:

  1. Stephenie, I'm so happy that you are feeling strong and healthy enough to start gardening again! You must be so pleased that all your hard work to rebuild after the surgery has paid off. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. The change is dramatic, and I'm very grateful. The exercise really works.

      Delete
  2. I like how homegrown are smaller. It’s natural and so healthy. Just like your lettuce much tastier than ones from the shop. I think by the time they go through everything and get to us they’ve lost a lot of their natural goodness and taste.
    Your compost sounds perfect and the garden is going to thrive I’m sure. You are giving it every opportunity.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your geraniums are beautiful, I don't know what compost tea is though? It must feel so good to be able to get out doing things you love after recovering from your surgeries xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. Yes, it feels great! Thank you. Compost tea is just made with compost and water. You let it steep in the sun, and stir it with a stick. It is wonderful plant food!

      Delete
    2. oh, my goodness! you just reminded me of a funny story from my hippie-vegetarian days of old.
      I always kept a 2 qt mason jar on the window sill with compost tea for tall the house plants. My neighbor who though I was very odd asked me what the jar was one day. When I told her I was making compost tea she turned green and stammered....Turns out she thought I was drinking it! I guess she really did think I was a crazy hippie chick!

      Delete
    3. That's funny, Jill. I'd forgotten about using it for houseplants. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Kylie. I like the younger leaves, too. Compost makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those geraniums look amazing, such vibrant colour!
    i've been slowly putting my scented geraniums out in the garden as many of them have been in their pots for years.
    we're hoping for more rain, some vegies are finally growing, yay.
    you have a wonderful garden
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina. I love the color, too. The rain makes such a difference. Glad to hear you have had some rain, hope you get more soon.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that you feel healthier and stronger now.
    I'm going to make compost tea for my tomato plants. Thanks for the tip Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nil. Let me know how you like the compost tea. Happy gardening...

      Delete
  7. It sounds and look like your garden is really thriving. I need to make some of that compost tea! :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rue, Love your blog. Thanks. The plants are much happier, now that it's cooler.

      Delete