Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Reducing Your Responsibilities



As I get older, I find that it helps me to lessen my commitments, and to reduce my responsibilities. I allow myself a little more down time, and don't rush around like I used to do. This morning I watered the garden, worked on my shawl,  and did the weekly grocery shopping. As usual, I bought what was on sale. I got a couple of beautiful cantaloupes for $3.00,  another bag of plums to stew for only .69 a pound, a 10 pound bag of potatoes for $1.99, and a week's worth of pork for $4.99. Cauliflower was only .59 a pound, so I bought two of those, as well. I still have enough carrots, cabbage, and onions to last another week. I picked up bananas and Granny Smith apples on sale at Food For Less on the weekend. It really makes a difference in the grocery bill to buy what is on special. It also keeps me eating what's in season.

This afternoon I gave Lula a run, and my neighbor told me that the buyers pulled out of purchasing her house. She was concerned that I'd be upset about not getting to adopt Lula,  but I told her not to worry. Last week, after looking in the man's eyes, I had a feeling that they were going to change their mind. He didn't seem pleased about the deal. I listened to my intuition, and didn't get too attached to the idea of having Lula. Anything can happen. I really enjoy running her on my bike each day, and taking her on hikes with Lana. She's a cheerful and appreciative houseguest, too. She loves to come over and drink lots of water, hang out with us in the living room, and relax. She's such a sweet dog.



I've got pork chops and potatoes cooked for dinner. I will whip the potatoes with  milk, butter, salt and white pepper. I boiled them with a quartered onion.  That's how my mom made mashed potatoes. They are delicious that way. I'll eat up the leftover coleslaw that I made last night with a fresh vinaigrette. I don't care for mayonnaise, so I fix it this way.


Lana has been doing amazingly well. Her sores are healing. It seems that eating cottage cheese and rice really agrees with her. She also is off of the antibiotic that was costing me $300.00 a month. That's a huge relief! The other day she insisted on going hiking with Lula and I, and she was strong and capable for four miles. I'm so pleased. She's made a remarkable comeback. Her frisbee skills are improving, too. She is so in syn with me when I throw it. She really loves to use her talents. Ever since she was a puppy, she was always was a natural when playing frisbee. I think animals and people are much happier when they are using their inborn skills and creativity. (whether we are paid for it or not.)  What do you think?  

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow, $300/month? That's expensive. I'm so happy to hear that Lana is healing. Too bad you can't keep Lula, but still you get to enjoy her company, so that's a good thing.

    I don't have pets. I think it's a huge responsibility, so I'm hesitant to keep a pet. May be I'm too selfish. :( but they are wonderful companions, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, You're right, it is a huge responsibility. I love dogs, and I have the time to care for them. Lana is very easy, and is an excellent watchdog.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy Lula lives so close as you and seem to have such a beautiful relationship with her. You never know down the track she may be yours. Until then I'm sure you will continue enjoying her as you do.
    Great to hear Lana is back on track too. Love the photo of your hiking track. I could walk in areas like that for so long.
    I hope you enjoyed your dinner - looks scrumptious.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, Dinner was delicious. We are lucky that Lula just lives down the street. The hiking trails in this area are fantastic. That one in the photo is the Pacific Crest Trail.

      Delete
  3. i've never had frisbee, ball or stick dogs, i prefer they not get attached to those things, had too many friends dogs who were addicted (i.e. bull terrier hanging from a clothes line all day hanging onto his stick!)
    i don't have a dog now & still not sure if i'll get another, am happy with just the 2 cats for company.
    many dogs just like to please us, it's just in their nature.
    glad Lana is still improving, wow $300.! that's a lot of money! i would be relieved too!
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Selina, Your cats look very happy. I love the one in your avatar photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my avatar photos are of cats on the web, my lot aren't that cute anymore lol but thanx

      Delete
  5. I'm sure Lula loves visiting and, even though you she doesn't live with you and Lana full-time, she's close by and you can still enjoy each other's company. Pets can be very expensive when they need medical attention but it's great when they return to good health. Makes it worthwhile! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Meg. It's rewarding to see Lana back to her old self again.

      Delete