Thursday, October 26, 2017

Autumn



This is a photograph of a pumpkin that I grew in my front cottage garden many years ago. It had a fairy tale look to it, and was quite beautiful. It added a lot of charm and whimsy to the entrance of my home. My house is old fashioned and  small, and that pumpkin was so big. Unfortunately, one of the neighborhood children stepped on its vine. She was reaching for the fence, and trying to get a better look at it. The vine was killed, and the pumpkin stopped growing. Oh well. After that, I planted my pumpkins in the backyard, safe from little feet.  Everyone kept asking me when I was going to plant pumpkins again. They are really something special. 


This photograph is of my little brothers and I, when we were quite young. I believe we were age  7, 3, and 2 at the time. It really brings back memories. I remember struggling to carve that jack o'lantern, and a couple of the teeth falling into the center of the pumpkin. I was very disappointed. I didn't understand how to carve around the upper teeth with a knife. My dad helped us. They look really cute to me, now. My friend Marcus Galante did some color work on the photo for me. The original photograph is very old and blurry, but I love it. It's tiny and square, and it says Kodak on it.  My mom took it, and it reminds me of her.

Today I went to the gym and had a terrific workout. I used to go regularly. I bought  a two year membership at Costco. It felt really good to use the machines again. I love the feeling of building strength. I find I'm a much happier and more positive person when I do consistent exercises that challenge me. I love the machines. They remind me of my early days as a gymnast. How about you? Do you have a regular exercise routine?

14 comments:

  1. That's a big pumpkin, Stephenie. And the photo of you and your brothers is cute.
    I don't have a regular exercise routine now. Many years ago I used to do yoga every day and I should start again. I keep saying that, but never do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Thanks, I love this photo. Yes, a daily yoga practice is a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  2. I walk 4 to 5 miles every day that I can. It is much easier since I retired on the first!!! When I was traveling 3 weeks of every 5, it was next to impossible to take care of my self. I love your pumpkin! We don't have the real estate to grow pumpkins or melons here, but I remember when my father spent an entire summer babying a watermelon in a plot on the opposite side of his fence (on park land). Just as he decided the watermelon was going to be perfect for harvest the next afternoon-someone stole it!!! Even though this happened 30 or so years ago he still fumes about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry for your dad. That must have been very upsetting. I love the way you tell the story. It made me chuckle. That's fantastic that you are walking so many miles each day. Wow! Congratulations on your retirement, Anita.

      Delete
  3. That's such a charming photo of the 3 of you. It's very evocative of a simpler time. It makes me a bit wistful.
    I glad that you have this tiny, fragile photo-memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. I typed a comment to you, but now I don't see it. I love this photo. It really does have the emotion and feeling of that era.

      Delete
  4. I used to train very hard for running events but now walk every day instead. Keep moving is my motto.
    Your pumpkin is certainly something to be proud of. I tried growing them last year however just not enough room for the runners.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, You seem to be very active and busy. I think I'll grow them again next year. I love the Cinderella pumpkins. I didn't know you used to be a runner. Hope you have a great weekend, too.

      Delete
  5. That pumpkin does look whimsical. And what fun memories. I've been hiking vertically. It's elk season at the moment and their legs are not only longer than mine but they also have twice as many as I do. Something about that seems unfair😊 I couldn't even begin to tell you how many miles hiked or pounds lifted (firewood) this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic, Lady Locust. That's such good exercise. It's even better that you're out in the fresh air.

      Delete
  6. i put pumpkin seeds in when it was raining just recently, most came up then a chook found it, have about half a dozen left now & i fenced it off so the chookies couldn't get into it; they are growing, haven't grown them for years, hopefully these will do well, they're an heirloom butternut but i think the seeds might be mixed.
    your pumpkin certainly was a beauty! i hear those giant types aren't edible? such a waste if they aren't i think.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, I love heirlooms. I hope yours do well. I grew this pumpkin years ago, so I can't remember. I love the Cinderealla pumpkins, too. They are edible. The white ones are also pretty. Maybe next year...

      Delete
  7. It does look like a pumpkin from a fairy tale doesn’t it, I wonder how big it would have grown! Cute photo with special memories xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, Yes, it does. I wonder, too. Oh well. It was exciting, as it was the first time I had planted pumpkin seeds. It took a lot of compost tea and water.

      Delete