Friday, October 27, 2017

Christmas Soaps and Sweater Knitting


Last night I received a message from a friend. She was letting me know that she wanted to order some Christmas soaps for gifts. I wrote back with what I had in stock, and then today made another batch of Shea Butter Goat's Milk Soap. I used my fir tree, Santa, and European bar molds. I got these from Milky Way Molds. I love the detail.


It was enjoyable to make a batch of soap again. I placed them in the freezer for thirty minutes, and then transferred them into the fridge. I had the goat's milk already frozen in ice cube trays on the shelf of the freezer. It feels good to have plenty of soapmaking supplies on hand.


I did some more work on the 1940's vintage sweater. I completed the second sleeve, and finished half of the short rows on the front of the sweater. It's a very simple but elegant design. I'm so glad that I went back and corrected my mistakes. I only have to knit the last side of short rows and do the ribbing for the front. After that is completed, I will block the pieces, and sew them together. I love the cut of it! It reminds me of the old movies and period Broadway musicals.


This is a photograph of my friends and I when we did "42nd Street" in Europe. It was taken in either Vienna or Paris, I can't remember. I think the women looked so glamorous in those days. It was fun to recreate the old styles with the show. We had a fabulous time together.  Can you find me? I was twenty-six at the time. 

14 comments:

  1. You are the 3rd from left in the back row! Am I right? :)
    You all look so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Nil! Yes, it was a very happy time. I loved Europe, especially Vienna.

      Delete
  2. Your Christmas soap moulds are beauitful! What special gifts you make. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg. Handmade soap and socks are my favorite gifts to give.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Nil-third from the left in the back row! You cannot hide your wonderful smile. Steve and I are going to Vienna a week from Monday. Neither of us has ever been there before so we will be total tourists. The sweater is lovely and looks so soft. Does your soap need to be stored long term in the freezer or refrigerator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita. How exciting that you are traveling to Vienna! I have such fond memories of that city. It is so romantic. I keep the milk soaps in the fridge for a few days. They need to harden in order to unmold them. After that, I let them dry out on soap racks.

      Delete
  4. beautiful top, love the style too, they are very elegant. your soaps are lovely!
    3rd from left in back row i reckon too, you have very distinctive features. yes i think you all look like you're enjoying yourselves too!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Selina. Yes, you all found me. It was a wonderful show. We are still in touch.

      Delete
  5. Definitely third from the left, back row.
    You all look like you have so much family. A family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Kylie. It was a very talented group. I loved working with these women.

      Delete
  6. What lovely soaps, it’s something I’d like to look into doing, they make such lovely presents. Beautiful jumper, it looks soft too xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Cheryl. Soapmaking is really fun. They do make lovely gifts. I am just finishing up the bind off row of the sweater. Yes, it is soft, silky wool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those soaps are just gorgeous! Such lovely gifts :)

    And look at your sweater, it is almost finished yay!

    Lots of sweet memories in that photo. I love looking back through old photos and remembering when :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Tania. I am filling Etsy soap orders. I love looking back at old photographs, too. I am sewing the sweater pieces together today.

    ReplyDelete