Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Here Is the Sweater


I finished the sweater yesterday. It always takes me quite a while to sew in all of the ends. I'm real pleased with the end result. I posted a photo of it on Facebook, and several of my friends loved it. That was nice to read. I generally choose simple designs. I like clean lines, stockinette fabric, and ribbing.  I think I will list this one in my Etsy shop. It was a lot of work, because it's knit on such small needles. The yarn is dk weight. It really gives the finished item a nice drape, though.


I posted a photo of this purple sweater that I redesigned and knit on Bob Mackie's Facebook page. He was accepting photos for Halloween. Most of them were remakes of his costumes. I sent in mine just to show how much I love the way his gowns and costumes fit. I have always tried to emulate that when I knit the vintage designs. I love the Old Hollywood look. This was my take on it. I kept the bones of a pattern I found on EBay, and added some details. The yarn is Royal Llama Silk, which has been discontinued. 

Imagine how excited I was this morning to read this in my notifications: "Bob Mackie loves you post." Wow! That is the ultimate compliment. Mr. Mackie is my very favorite designer of all time. He has created the costumes for Cher, Juliet Prowse, Ann-Margret, Elton John, The Carol Burnett Show, and many other huge stars. He is it! I feel like I need to pinch myself.

Last night I did a couple of hours of housekeeping. It felt good to dust the furniture with homemade white vinegar and water spray, and to vacuum the carpets. I did a thorough cleaning of the bathroom, too. I feel so much happier when my home is neat and tidy. I'm going to devote a couple of hours each day to cleaning and organizing. It's so good for the mental health. I just reread a little book I have called Cleaning Hints and Tips by Cindy Harris. It really inspired me. The photos are lovely.

My friend is New York gave me a delicious tomato sauce recipe over the phone the other day. He told me to take a large can of crushed tomatoes, one  cube of butter, and an onion cut in half, and to combine them. He said to discard the onion at the end. I added several cloves of garlic, because I love the flavor. I had the sauce served over leftover spaghetti and meatballs for lunch. It was out of this world! Certainly not the healthiest recipe, but oh so tasty! It was quick and easy to make, too.


I cast on a new pair of socks this morning. The yarn is quite pretty. It's more of the Viking of Norway Nordlys sock yarn that's been in my stash since  last Christmas. It always feels good to knit yarn that has been waiting for you. Time to mop the floors...

11 comments:

  1. Your new blouse is so beautiful.
    I too like cleaning and organizing, I find it so therapeutic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nil. I'm very happy with it. I just listed it in my Etsy shop.

      Delete
  2. The sweater is lovely and timeless, it will look stunning on you. Especially the lovely neckline.
    I can see this as a go to garment for just about every occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. It is classic, isn't it? I hope someone agrees with you and buys it! I have enough yarn left over to make another one.

      Delete
  3. Your sweater is lovely! You are a very talented knitter. The tomato sauce recipe sounds so simple but also delicious too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Meg. I love the design. I hope you try the sauce. It's divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Meg. You are a very talented knitter. Your sweater is lovely.
    I was actually cleaning the bathrooms and toilets this morning and felt my mood lift as it was becoming cleaner and cleaner. Fresh towels which had been flapping in the sunshine. Feels good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kylie. I love to knit. I feel the same way about a clean house. It seems to lift any negative energy.

      Delete
  6. both those tops are lovely! very flattering styles.
    i'm still knitting 2 tops for myself, they take a long time as i feel guilty for making things for myself but am slowly getting round that mindset (very slowly) as i still make knits for others. i started on the heel flap of my 2nd pastel sock today; am trying very hard not to start another pair before finishing this one!
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, I can't wait to see your tops. I'm glad you are letting go of that mindset. I know what you mean about finishing socks. New yarn can be very tempting.

      Delete
    2. And thank you for the compliments. I love both of these designs...

      Delete