Thursday, October 5, 2017

Maintaining Your Home and Car


This morning I took the car to the carwash and had it thoroughly cleaned. I do this the first week of every month, and use a coupon. They have an early bird special that is $9.99. I always give them a $3.00 tip. The car feels brand new after they've finished with it. I love it. My mom would be pleased. This used to be her VW Beetle, and she took impeccable care of it, and everything else that she owned.


On the way home, I stopped at the mechanic to see why my rear tail light wasn't working. My neighbor had pointed it out to me last week, after he drove home behind me. I left the car there, and took the bus back to the house. The owner of the auto shop quoted me $20.00, unless there was something else wrong. I went to pick it up a few hours later, and that's all that was needed.  I'm so fortunate to live just a block from the bus stop. I ran into one of my neighbors while I was there, and had a nice chat with him. I had just seen his mom on the  bus I had taken earlier. We've all known each other for years, and are very friendly. I used to see them every day, when I went "car free" for a year. I paid the mechanic cash, and then zipped back to my cottage in the car. It feels so good to have it clean and in good repair. The tires are new, it has a full tank of gas, and the oil was recently changed. It's seventeen years old, but it only has 41,000 miles on it. I just love that car.



I did some home repairs this week, too. I bought a couple of magnets at the hardware store and replaced the ones in my mailbosx and on my kitchen cupboards. The mailbox door had been falling open, and it was really irritating me. It's amazing how our energy increases when we fix those niggling repairs that need doing. All it took was a few minutes, a small amount of cash, and a screwdriver. I put a new set of  magnets on the kitchen cupboard door, too. The old ones were twenty years old. I guess they stop working after a while. Now the door stays shut. It's the little things in life.  
     

7 comments:

  1. So true, Stephenie. Many times little things make all the difference.
    I too have to take my car for maintenance. I have a coupon for oil change so it should save some money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's good. I love coupons. I just have to remember to bring them with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great Stephanie. I agree. It's usually much easier and less expensive to keep things maintained. Good deal on cleaning your car. Here it's $30-$45 (ish) and I don't know if I've ever found a coupon. Needless to say, my car could do with a good vacuuming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's a lot of money for a carwash! It's more expensive where my dad lives, too. Yes, the vacuuming makes a big difference.

      Delete
  4. Looks like it was house and car work all around!
    The weekend was taken up with Adventures in Plumbing and a prolonged audience with The Prince of Plumbers...ugh. Unexpected, messy and pricey, but thankfully not as bad as it could have been and I'm grateful for my fully funded house emergency fund so it wasn't financial chaos as well.
    No cooking or baking got done but my freezer meals kept me well fed.

    The car went to the spa yesterday for fluid/filter change and tire rotation and a through end to end check-up to make sure I'm covered for the fast approaching fall/winter season. I'm so lucky to have a longtime relationship with a nearby and very reliable mechanic.
    I plan to wash it today and give it a through vacuuming...my least favorite job in the world [aside from cleaning up plumbing debris!]

    I smiled reading about your noodle casserole. I made this for years using canned salmon, which was always much more affordable here, and peas. Such a tasty and comforting cold weather meal in one dish.

    Hope your weekend is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill, That's great that you had your emergency fund in place. Plumbing and home repair issues do come up, and it's much more pleasant when you are prepared. How nice that you had freezer meals all ready so that you could eat well. Your version of tuna and noodles sounds delicious and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are the same with our cars too. They always get serviced when due and my husband keeps them clean. Keeping up with the maintenance and fixing things is so much better. Otherwise one problem leads to another. Keep on top of it is my motto.
    As well as repairing household items I also look after them along the way. Keeping things clean, packed away properly and fixing immediately make a huge difference.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete