Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Appreciating The Little Things


Recently I have been making an effort to appreciate the small details that make each day enjoyable. I planted these little begonias  in a window box for color and pleasure. I love the shade of pink that they are, and the feeling they give me when I'm sitting in my living room. Instead of buying fresh flowers, I pull up my balloon curtains, and enjoy gazing at these petite fairy flowers each day. Here in California, they usually stay in bloom all year.


I bought  a new hummingbird feeder over the weekend. I wasn't sure how long it would take the hummers to find it. This morning I saw the first one come to visit it and drink the nectar. They are such special little birds. I love the distinctive sound that their wings make, and how dainty they are. I will keep this feeder full of fresh sugar water for them. They really appreciate it, and many of them visit several times a day.

My knitting and crocheting is coming along well. I've started working through my worsted weight stash yarn to finish the Lost In Time shawl. I love how the Noro Silk Garden yarn worked out with the colors. It feels so good to use up the leftover small balls of quality yarn. Most are remnants of sweaters that I have knit.  Right now I'm using some grey tweed Cascade Rustic yarn that I bought at Creative Ewe several years ago. It's blending in nicely with the earth tones. People really love these colors, and I wouldn't have thought to put them together myself.  Thank you Mr. Noro. What an artist he is!


Yesterday morning I cast on a new pair of socks. I don't normally work on more than two projects at a time, but I needed something repetitive to do at my knitting groups. The other two items require a lot of counting and concentration.  I finished the cuff today. and will do the heel tomorrow. I plan to use these for a blog giveaway. I will take the names of people leaving comments, and pick one as the recipient. You can let me know your size, and I will make them to fit your foot. I will post anywhere. I hope you like purple!     

13 comments:

  1. Oh, you can take my name 😊 We call the bummers "buzzards" because they are so aggressive around the feeders (but only in summer here.) Your home looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're first on the list, Lady Locust! Buzzards, that's funny. We get them year round in this area. Yes, my home is very cozy...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bird feeder outside the kitchen window and it's so much fun to watch them. Recently a friend gave me a hummingbird feeder but I didn't hang it yet. Do you make sugar water at home, Stephenie?
    I agree with Ladylocust. Your home looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nil, Thank you. I always felt like this cottage had my name on it. Yes, I make the sugar water on my stove. It's one part sugar to four parts water. I use an ant guard on mine. You just fill it with plain water. It's the green cup in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephenie. I didn't think about an ant guard. Florida is full of ants, so I must have one.

      Delete
  5. What a special giveaway: Handknit Stephenie Socks...and in purple too!

    I also try to notice and appreciate the small and everyday things in my life. Always looking ahead to 'the big' and 'the special' somewhere down the road, at the expense of what already surrounds us, robs us of so much joy and sense of fulfillment.

    Can't wait to see the shawl when it is completed. The colors and textures are delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jill, The socks should be ready in about a week. Thank you for the compliments on the purple socks and the shawl. You are so right about being present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a thoughtful idea Stephanie.
    I love earthy colours too. One of Mum friends always dresses in earthy colours and I admire her clothes.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie. There's something about earth tones that is very calming and grounding.

      Delete
  8. Hi Everyone,

    Please leave me your shoe size in a comment. I am zipping along with these socks, and will pick a winner sometime tomorrow! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stephanie,
    I’m a ladies 8 here in Australia which I think equates to a 39 or US 6.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete