Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Are You a Vegetarian?



One of the most common questions that I get from people is, "Are you a vegetarian?" I think it's because of my body type, and the fact that I do yoga daily. The answer is "No, I'm not." I make an effort to eat a large percentage of fruits and vegetables, and I try to avoid packaged foods. I do enjoy good quality meats and poultry, though. I just feel better when I have some meat in my diet. I try to keep it to a minimum, however, because I love animals. I was a vegetarian for about five years, in my early twenties. I actually gained weight.

Today I stopped at Sprouts on my way back from knitting. They had Niman Ranch bacon on sale. It's very delicious pork, and the animals are humanely treated. After arriving home, I pierced put a couple of russet potatoes and placed them in the toaster oven. I fried up two thick slices of the bacon in my cast iron skillet. As a child, I grew up on meat and potatoes,  and I still find that it makes a  very satisfying evening  meal.


 When it comes to beef, I buy grass fed, when it's on sale. The price of beef has really soared, so I don't purchase it nearly as often as I did when I was younger. I'll use it in lasagna, tacos, hamburger and gravy, or in spaghetti with meat sauce. I may start substituting ground turkey in those recipes. Costco usually has four packs of it at a reasonable price. It would be a good idea to have it stockpiled in the freezer, as well. It's so versatile. Those of you who are reading this blog from Australia or the UK call ground beef mince, I believe.


I also love to roast a rack of lamb, occasionally,  as a treat. It's delicious with mashed potatoes, gravy, and vegetables or salad. The lamb that we get here is from Australia. It makes me feel better to know that the animals had a happy and healthy life. My father's side of the family used to own cattle in the Vallejo area of Northern California. The cattle would graze up on the hillsides of Green Valley. It was so beautiful. This is a photo of the old ranch house. It was built in 1860. The whole area is very developed now. When we were children, it was all fruit orchards and ranches. We went back to visit last year, and it was unrecognizable. There were Pizza Huts, grocery chains, and tract homes. It has a whole different feel now.       




6 comments:

  1. Stephenie I received your socks. Thank you so much. They are so comfy and beautiful. I tried them and they fit perfectly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Nil! Thanks for letting me know. I checked the tracking, and saw that they had arrived. I'm so glad that they fit. I was a little worried, since they looked so tiny. They were six inches, though. The tape measure never lies...

      Delete
  2. The ranch house is gorgeous. Our area is also built up now too and getting bigger. Lots of pizza places, fish and chips, McDonald’s, kebabs and plenty more takeaway. I avoid all of them.
    Like you I purchase grass fed meat which I usually get from the farmers market. I like to know the animal was happy too and it is also healthier. I eat meat but I’m a big, big lover of veggies. When prepping dinner etc. a lot of the veggies disappear as I can’t help eating them.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, it's amazing how many fast food places there are. I rarely eat it, either. I know that you also grow many of your own vegetables, too. I really enjoy picking them from the garden.

      Delete
  3. i eat a lot of vegies, tend to do mash sweet potoato & steam vegies mixed altogether; sometimes i'll roast when i want a change; i eat a lot of chicken as that's our cheapest meat now, with a little lamb but lately i have been craving beef, haven't eaten it for years due to getting upset tummies from it; had 2 pieces so far without any problems, still have my cravings for it. what people don't realize too is some blood types require meat, Type O is one of those which i am; tried to be vegetarian years ago but can't do it for very long as the drops in iron levels & other minerals goes too low & then i crave meat badly & thats all i eat for a week! it's just best to keep a little in the diet weekly.
    shame about your place where you grew up but many would say it's progress.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, Selina. I just feel more balanced with some meat and poultry in my diet. The mashed sweet potato with steamed veggies sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete