Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Lemon Jello Cake Recipe






This is a favorite family recipe that my mom used to make for us on our birthdays. The photo above was taken on my seventh birthday, with my two younger brothers. I remember asking the one on the left, "Do you want to help me blow out the candles?" I love their expressions.

Lemon Jello Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup cold water
1 small package of lemon jello
3 eggs
1 tsp. lemon extract

Combine jello and cold water. Add to cake mix: oil, eggs, and extract. Beat according to directions on package. Bake at 350 degrees in angel food pan for 55 minutes. Take from oven and pierce with fork. Top with homemade lemon glaze.

Glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar and the juice and grated rind of one lemon.

As we got older, my mom started buying cakes at the bakery, and ordering us ice cream cakes at 31 Flavors. I still love her Lemon Jello Cake the best. It's a vintage recipe, so the sizes of the cake mixes and jello may have changed.    


6 comments:

  1. The photo with you and your brothers is adorable. Look at the expression on the brother watching you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. He's such a cutie. I have many more cute pictures of him that I will use on the blog. I love photos that are natural, and have emotion.

      Delete
  2. I love that top photo with your arm around your brother. You can see by the photo just how caring and gentle you are.
    Mum used to make our cakes as well. I remember having friends over and the table covered in all of Mum's homecooking. Chocolate crackles were a must.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. I just looked up Angel cake pans and now know a little more about them. I've seen them pop up every now and then and always wondered.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kylie. I just loved having them as little brothers. I was always playing teacher and they would be my students. It was so much fun. They were so cute, and so sweet!

      Delete
  3. What a sweet, spontaneous snap of you and your brothers!
    It looks like it was a very happy moment for you. I hope it brings up special memories of that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jill. I love that shot. We had a lot of fun together as kids.

    ReplyDelete