Friday, October 6, 2017

Location


As I get older, I think about where I live now, and envision where I want to be in five, ten, or twenty years.  My current home has a very convenient location. I can walk to the bus stop in five minutes, and be in town in another five minutes. There are several grocery stores, pharmacies, a library, post office, and bike paths within a few miles of my home. It's nice not to have to drive a long distance to run errands or to meet with friends. There are also parks, restaurants, and cafes nearby. I can attend two or three knitting groups a week, all within eleven miles of my home.

I don't go to the theater often, but if I want to see a Broadway show or concert performance, I am just thirty miles from The Pantages Theater, The Ahmanson, and The Hollywood Bowl. I am also located a few miles from the train station, which is very convenient. I love to travel by Amtrak. I can take the local Metro train to Union Station. From there, you can travel to all sorts of places.

When I bought my little house in 1998, I felt like I was moving out into the country. At that time, this area was considered to be on the outskirts of town. In the last twenty years, there has been a lot of development, and there are new homes that have been built above the main highway.  There is also a a new college just a few blocks from here.


My cottage is situated on a third acre lot, which gives me plenty of space to garden. I planted fruit trees in the backyard, and a potager garden in the front. The small garden in front of my house and along the driveway is where I keep the flowers, a few citrus trees, and  hanging baskets of pink geraniums.

One thing that I really like about my living space is that is has a large, vintage style  kitchen. There is plenty of space for me to cook, bake, and to make soap. I have a smaller than average refrigerator, the studio size from Big Chill. It works for me, since I don't have a family to feed.


I also adore having an old fashioned porch. I spend a lot of time outside on mine, reading, knitting crocheting, and writing. I love being surrounded by the greenery, listening to the birds and chickens, and watching the world go by...how about you? Do you like your location?


12 comments:

  1. You have the best of both worlds really. Close distance to transport and town however can shut your gate and be in your own space. Your garden and home. Sounds like a peaceful and calm location. We have a great area which is also close enough to town, bus stop and plenty of parks, lakes and walking tracks. Fantastic neighbours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your location sounds excellent, Kylie. I love the photos you've posted from your walks.

      Delete
  2. I love your kitchen. Especially that fridge. How lovely to have a porch. I wanted a house with a porch, but the location came first.
    I live just over 3 miles from where I work, and within a 3 mile radius I also have grocery stores, a gas station, a park, a post office, my doctor's office. The library is about 6 miles away. Though I'm right in the city, the property is about 1/4 acres and the neighborhood is very quiet. When I'm in the backyard it feels like a rural area. Though this house needs a lot of work, I love it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I love my kitchen and porch, too. Your location sounds ideal. Living near the lake must be lovely.

      Delete
  3. The area you live in sounds like there's lots there for you to enjoy and that's convenient for you. Your home sounds lovely, like it's a haven! I love where I live, a quiet & leafy pocket on the outskirts of a main Australian city. There are bike paths and walking tracks, parks and little local shops with a grocery, chemist, vet, bakery, doctor and cafe within walking distance. I love the peacefulness of where I live, that the days here are very quiet, that there is lots of birds and other wildlife living here too. There is no place like home! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your location sounds wonderful, Meg. We have lots of birds and wildlife, too. I'd forgotten that the vet is just a mile away, too. All of those things really make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are 45 min. from gas, grocery, etc. Some days it's not far enough😉 Many of the things that most people are attracted to are lost on me. I haven't been bored since I was about 8 ~ always plenty to do around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Lady Locust. I always keep busy at home, too.

      Delete
  6. i moved here because it was all i could afford to buy on a pension, it's not a bad place but i'd prefer to be elsewhere, i'm a mountain country girl at heart. have a small convenience store, butcher, post office, library, hall & a rural/produce store (that sells fuel) not too far, all within walking distance; we also have a public school that goes upto year 10.
    i still hope that one day i'll be in my ideal location in a lovely little cottage
    love seeing your place, that fridge & stove are gorgeous!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wise, Selina. Like you, I moved to this place because it's affordable. What's nice now is that we can search for homes on line. I hope you eventually end up in your ideal location. Thank you for the compliment. I love my fridge and stove.

      Delete
  7. I love your kitchen too Stephenie!
    As you said, you cook, bake make soap...it is functional, comfortable and charming. It's so sad to me, to see these wonderful 1920's/30's houses gutted and remade into chic Manhattan-chic apartments.
    Your decorating is unique to your tastes and is warm, cozy and inviting. Small houses, especially on a larger treed lot such as yours are ideal. it's like an extra room or too when you have access to the outside.
    I imagine your trees keep your house and property much cooler in the abysmal hot season as well as the green helps keep your brain happy.
    Small places are much less costly and exhausting to maintain inside and out: a major plus down the line.
    With your uplifting garden plantings and proximity to just about everything, you made an excellent choice for future comfort and affordability all those years ago!

    My house is small and was chosen for affordability and proximity to work and necessary amenities, but the area is very quickly gentrifying and getting very, very crowded. I just about cry every time I see the old trees and gardens cut and cemented over to make extra parking for the 2nd and 3rd large vehicle.
    I know I need to move soon,as you said the web makes it a little easier to research.


    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jill, Thank you for your kind words. I love the charm and character of older homes. The new styles don't suit me. I know what you mean about the cementing. I lcherish the old trees on this property. There is a huge pine tree in the backyard, and a mature poplar tree in front that shades the house. It really does help keep the cottage cool and comfortable when we have the extremely hot weather. I'm sorry to hear that your area is getting so crowded. My father says the same thing about where he lives.

    ReplyDelete