Monday, October 16, 2017

Picking the First Strawberry


This morning, as I was watering my new plants, I noticed the first red strawberry peeking out at me. I caught my breath. This is the first time I have had success with strawberries. I think the last time I planted them, it was too hot. I remember putting them into two hanging baskets, and they  fried to a crisp within a few days. It was a sad and expensive purchase and experiment. These I planted in heavy compost and mulch. They look very happy and healthy. The leaves are a beautiful shade of green. The winter garden is off to a promising start!


  The heirloom lettuce plants are doing well. It's a bit hot here to be growing salad greens, but fortunately, they haven't bolted. They seem to enjoy the cool nights. The geraniums are blooming beautifully, as are the begonias. The amaranth is still reaching upward, so tall and colorful, and the artichoke plants seem happy in their new sunny spots. I am hoping that they will explode with growth in the next few months. I love fresh, home grown artichokes. Their taste is divine.


I refilled the hummingbird feeder yesterday. This little juvenile has been visiting regularly, and drinking the nectar. He is so sweet. This is my view of him from my desk, where I blog. The ant guard is working well. It's fun to see the hummers perch on the feeder and enjoy a drink. It makes me feel in tune with nature. They pollinate many of the flowers that I grow, too. There are still some four o'clocks in bloom, which they frequent. I also saw a lovely monarch butterfly perched on a sunflower. It was so peaceful to watch it slowly drinking the nectar. I gazed at him for a while, and time seemed to stand still. It's amazing how much our gardening attracts the bees, butterflies, and songbirds. It's a rewarding feeling to provide food, water, and protective cover for them.


I spent several hours knitting the purple socks over the weekend. They are growing nicely. I will finish them in my knitting groups. I plan to do some work on the shawl today. I am itching to make more socks. I balled up another skein of the Viking of Norway Nordlys sock yarn. It has some natural earth tones. It feels so good to be knitting up the yarn that has been sitting patiently in my stash. I am also eager to start using some of the lovely baby yarn that I have waiting in my closet. So much knitting to do, but I've also got to stay on top of the other chores, as well. I got the baking and laundry finished over the weekend. Today I will mop the floors and total up my receipts. What are you up to today?      

14 comments:

  1. Wow, are you growing artichokes? That's wonderful. I tried it once, but they died. I love artichokes.
    Today is my longest day at work, so I didn't do much at home. It was dark when I came home, so I had dinner and now am reading blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nil, Yes, I planted six artichoke plants. I grew them several years ago, until they died after a hard frost. One of my yoga students gave them to me. They were incredible! I hope you had a nice dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your strawberry made me smile.
    I am loving the colours of those socks.
    Have a busy day tomorrow so getting a lot done today. Have cleaned, washed and cleaned some more. Everything up to date and under control. Taking a friend out for her birthday for lunch tomorrow so I will be able to relax knowing jobs are up to date at home.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, That's great that you got so much cleaning done. I Hope you and your friend had a nice lunch. I love the different shades of purple in these socks, too. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. That first strawberry! Now it will be a race to beat the birds and slugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr. Homemaker, It's already eaten! I've been lucky with the birds here. There are some visiting rabbits, though. I think it's too dry for slugs. We used to get banana slugs in Northern California. They were huge, and bright yellow.

      Delete
  5. How lovely to have your first ripe strawberry ready in your garden. I'm sure it tasted wonderful having grown it yourself. I haven't had much success with strawberries since the first season I grew them and I'm not sure why. We don't get hummingbirds where we live, I wish we did as I'd love to see them. We've had a lovely parrot in one of our native flowering trees here recently, very pretty but so they fly off at the slightest sound. I've been trying to get a photo of one but it's tricky! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, You're right, it was delicious. How fantastic that you get wild parrots! I would love to see them.

      Delete
  6. ooo home grown fruit is just the best! my strawberries are fruiting too but i don't get many as the rats, mice & possums seem to get them 1st as i do like to leave them on the plants til well coloured, i don't mind sharing lol
    your gardens are looking nice, lettuce is a hard one to grow, never have much luck with it here, it always bolts but i love it self seeding all through the garden, it'll be nice if it's survived the heat before the rain whether any will sprout.
    humming birds are magical aren't they? incredible nature, am still trying to get the native trees to grow here, so far they are surviving, hopefully all this rain will give them the boost they need.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, So far so good with the lettuce. For me, it's the easiest one to grow. I plan to add garlic, and just planted broccoli and cauliflower. I buy the starters of heirloom lettuce at our nursery. Glad to hear you are getting rain. I hope we get some, too.

      Delete
  7. It's coming to the end of our big growing season in the UK. It must be difficult growing in such a hit climate. I hope your strawberries continue to flourish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tania, I don't try to grow much during the hottest part of the year. This is my favorite time. The climate is perfect. Hope all is well in the UK. I love how green the gardens are there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We aren't growing strawberries anymore due to space limitations in our gardens, but luckily, we can buy wonderful ones very inexpensively at the farmers market and at some stands nearby. Lucky you to be able to grow artichokes. We have some vacant fields nearby the house that were once part of a large ranch. Lots of wild artichokes are still growing there and I have been known venture out with the neighbor ladies to pluck a few. Just happen to be passing by during our "gossip walkies" you know!! The October heat has baked our lettuce crop to a crisp. The only thing growing in our winter garden now are carrots and radishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that's too bad about your lettuce. My snapdragons fried, also. I deadheaded them, and am hoping that they will bloom again when it gets colder. The wild artichokes near you sound wonderful. I like the established plants. That's what I was given. You can divide them. Good luck with the carrots and radishes.

    ReplyDelete