Friday, October 20, 2017

Hiking Through Vasquez Rocks


This morning after running the dogs alongside my bike, I decided to take them hiking. Lula immediately became very well behaved, sitting and waiting at the gate as I got ready to put them in the car. Dogs can really read our intentions. I praised her for being such a good girl, and popped my backpack in the trunk.

I decided to take them to Vasquez Rocks, in Agua Dulce. I thought it would be a nice change.  It's a gorgeous setting, with jagged rocks, blue skies, and a portion of my favorite hiking trail, The Pacific Crest Trail. This path goes all the way from Mexico to Canada. It's a very special hike. The dogs loved it, (even though we just did a small portion of it.)


Lana looks so healthy and happy these days. She really responds well to all of the exercise and training that she's getting. I thought that at ten years of age,  it would be too much for her. I was wrong. She is thriving. Having Lula at her side seems to make her feel more enthusiastic and motivated. They both seem to enjoy being part of a pack. I appreciate the benefits of the outdoor exercise, too. It really helps your mental outlook and physical stamina.


I did some off leash training with them. I made sure that they let me go first, instead of running down the trail ahead of me. I had them stop quickly, sit, wait, and then start again. They were very responsive and enthusiastic. It was nice to feel like they were in control, in case we ran into another dog. This way I can get their leashes on quickly, and they won't run away from me.

On the way home, they were both curled up in the back seat of my car, sleeping. They looked so content and relaxed, side by side and exhausted. It was a great workout for me, too. This trail is just ten minutes from my home, and it feels like we have driven out of town. The weather was perfect. I heated up some leftover chicken barley soup for lunch, and plan to work on my shawl this afternoon. How are you doing?      

8 comments:

  1. I love to see dogs running around together, it makes my heart sing when our 3get to come off their leads and run around. Hope you have a lovely afternoon working on your shawl xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Cheryl. They love being out in nature. The shawl is finished, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were smart to take a hike before the hot weather comes this weekend. Hopefully this will be the last of the Santa Ana winds for us in Southern California. Hard to believe it has been 10 years since we were evacuated because of the Witch Fires. I just finished the afghan for my son and will be working on some pillow for him next. Happy Friday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. I saw the photos of you afghan. It is gorgeous! Hope it wasn't too hot in San Diego. It was nice here. We enjoyed an early bike ride.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoy seeing photos of your hikes as the settings are just what I like. Lana and Lula both seem to benefit each other and have really moulded well together. Great for you too. Being in nature, with two wonderful dogs, fresh air - does it get any better?
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Kylie. Yes, the girls are very compatible and sweet together. It's nice not to have any competition problems. Hope you enjoyed your weekend, too.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to have a trail like this so close to home. I enjoyed seeing the photos of it. Our dog, not quite ten, loves his walks too and swimming in the river. He becomes so animated as soon as he knows he's going somewhere and is beside himself when he realises it's a drive in our old ute. I think dogs are the best walking companions in the world! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's sweet, Meg. Lana did the same thing yesterday. She was so excited and vocal when we got to the hiking trail. I agree with you about dogs being the best walking companions. We are fortunate to have this lovely trail so close to our cottage...

    ReplyDelete