Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Back to Canyon Country, After the Tick Fire

little brown cabin in Wrightwood, California


Thank you for all of your comments on the blog.  I appreciate your care and concern.  I drove home very early this morning.  The sun was just coming up as I filled the gas tank with gas.  I don't let it get below half a tank anymore. 

There was some traffic on the 14 South, since the far right lane was closed at Shadow Pines.  I studied the charred hillsides.  The landscape reminded me of burnt cookies or toast.  It looks cleaner, though.  There's something about having that dry brush burnt away that gives me a sense of relief.


sweet little red cabin

I have done two loads of  laundry, cleaned up the yard, and am raking leaves this afternoon.  I put all of the pine cones into a large plastic green waste bin.  I will take them up to the cabin to use as kindling.  They make pretty decorations, too.  I watered everything really well this morning.  Fortunately, the plants all look healthy.  The temperatures haven't been too bad, and they seemed to handle the smoke just fine.  I refilled the birdbath, which was empty.


red and green cabin with flowers

I fed and watered Snow White, my Silkie.  She had laid four eggs while I was gone!  I was floored.  Usually my hens don't lay eggs at this time of year.  Thrilled, I thanked her profusely.  I plan to do some baking.  I will probably make pumpkin or banana bread, and maybe some Snickerdoodles. 


cabin with fir tree cutouts

I usually leave down some pine needles and leaves as mulch, but will clean everything up today.  I don't want anything in the yard that can burn.  I will compost the leaves.  I have two large bins for green waste.  They will be recycled into mulch at the plant.  My fruit trees look terrific.  So far, so good.  The wind is supposed to pick up tonight at 11:00 p.m.  The Santa Anas are what cause the most trouble.  I keep imagining green, healthy gardens and light rain.  I think it's so important to focus on what you want.   

I took these photos in my neighborhood up at the cabin for you.  It has been such a refuge up there.  It's hard to believe it's just sixty miles from where the Tick Fire was.  How are things in your area?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear.  They are moderated.

18 comments:

  1. Such pretty, idyllic cabins! Glad you got the chance to go back and get things done. Glad you are still safe and your home too! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too, Andrea. They are all so different, and have so much personality. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I’m glad to hear that you were able to go back to your cottage.

    We have scattered thundershowers today. So I don’t have to water the garden. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, Nil! I did hours of work out there today. It feels much better now.

      Delete
  3. What enchanting looking cabins:-) Glad your yard, garden, and Snow White are all well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they, Lady Locust? I could look at them all day. Snow White seems happy to see me. She is so sweet.

      Delete
  4. It's shocking and frightening to see the devastation from fires. Very good idea to clean up your mulch in the garden - when the fire season passes you can spread more. Having the option of somewhere safe to go now is ideal. It's a bonus that your cabin is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wet what was under the citrus trees, Pipistrello. Yes, the cabin is really special. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. That's so great that you were able to go home to the cottage and check on things. Glad that Snow White was doing well and had laid some eggs for you as a welcome home present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. It was such a sweet surprise. She is a darling little chicken, so petite.

      Delete
  6. Hoping for a spring shower of rain here, with the wind picking up. So glad your little place is OK

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a very good idea to clean up all the leaves and tidy your cottage's yard. Dry leaves will burn so fast as you know! Lucky that you don't seem to have too much ash. There was a real issue here after the 2007 fire of people using leaf blowers to clean up the ash. That just made the ash float and become finer and smaller. We have been very, very lucky down here so far, but the winds are howling this morning (Wednesday Oct 30). When do the cookies come out of the oven???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I haven't made the cookies yet. I need to make use of those eggs. I may hard boil a couple, and give them back to her. I think the pomegranate seeds were making her lay...

      Delete
  8. Are fires a regular thing where you live Stephenie? I don't think I would be able to sleep at night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say they are regular, Cherie, but they are common, unfortunately. If you read the California history books, many people's homes and cabins burned to the ground in the 1800's, as well. It's a very hot, dry, climate. The mountains are much colder, which I like. (and there are streams and waterfalls.)

      Delete
  9. Very happy to read that you and your little cottage are safe and that you've been able to return home again. Your cabin is most definitely a blessing in your life! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is, Meg. I am so thankful for it and the gorgeous environment here.

      Delete