Saturday, October 26, 2019

Tick Fire Update


Hi Everyone,

Thank you to those who called and wrote to check up on me in the Tick Fire.  I am safe at the cabin.  I have been in touch with several of my neighbors.  The fire was burning a block from my cottage.  I am shocked that many of the people on my street have chosen not to evacuate.  They will let people out, but not back in...

I have offered space in my home to several people in the area.  I would be afraid to stay there in this situation.  The fire moves so quickly.  The heat is incredibly intense. 

I tried to return yesterday to water my garden and feed my chicken, but all of the roads leading into town were closed.  They weren't allowing any foot traffic, either. Thankfully, one of my neighbors is taking care of my chicken for me.  She took all of the kids over with her, and they had a fun time.  It can be stressful being cooped up in the house in this kind of situation.  People are running out of things like milk, bread, and other staples.  We don't realize how quickly we go through them.

It made me realize how important it is to have a stockpile, cash, gas in the car, a bag packed, and all of your documents.  Fortunately, I am prepared, and brought everything with me.  My intuition had told me to pack my Suze Orman valuables box and my passport.  I do wish I had packed all of my hand knit sweaters, though.  Oh well.  So far, our houses are still standing.

I will answer your blogs as soon as possible.  I have limited Internet access at the library.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.        

30 comments:

  1. I’m so glad to hear that you are safe, Stephenie. I was think about both you and Bless.

    You are so prepared, and it’s so useful in a situation like this. I hope the fire will stay away from your neighborhood and that everyone will be safe.

    Take care, and please update us when possible.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. It is a relief to have plenty of food, a warm and cozy place to stay, and all that I need. Hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  2. I have been thinking of you and praying. It is Providential that you have your cabin to go to!! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. I feel so fortunate that I bought the cabin when I did. I have had a feeling for months that I needed to have a second location and to start looking. It is so peaceful up here. I have called several neighbors and invited them, in case they need a safe place to stay.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you are safe in your cabin, Stephenie, and that you have taken the essential things with you. You are well prepared! I hope that your little pink cottage and the homes of your neighbours will all still be there when the fire emergency is over. Take care! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. So far, all of the houses in our area are safe, thank goodness!

      Delete
  4. Glad you are safe! Hope fire is contained and everyone is safe.
    Patricia/Fl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. I keep checking the reports on wind and road closures.

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear that you and Lula are both OK and you have all your important papers, etc. with you. I hope the fire will not reach your house - one block away is too close for comfort, I think! I'm glad your neighbor was able to go over and feed your chicken and check on things for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. She is so sweet. I have excellent neighbors.

      Delete
  6. It's good to know you are well prepared. Stay safe. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. It was a relief to have things ready and organized.

      Delete
  7. Please stay safe Stephenie, it must be very frightening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. It was very scary for my neighbors. I was up at the cabin, by the fire.

      Delete
  8. I am glad to hear you are safe, and your cottage too. A block from the fire! I am praying you and the cottage and your neighbors will all be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. I appreciate your concern and your prayers. And thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you are safe and sound but hope this ends soon and you'll not have to worry. Take care Stephenie!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are safe and well prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust. It's a good feeling to have an plan and supplies.

      Delete
  11. Glad to hear you were prepared and in a safe place, and so relieved that your neighbours are able to take care of the chickens, would love to see how they are sometime.
    Be safe. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Everyday Life. I just have one, and she is doing very well, according to my sweet neighbor.

      Delete
  12. I was so relieved to hear you and Lula are safe. Let's hope the Tick Fire as well as all the other fires burning here in California are out soon with little loss. Keep us posted on your status.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you home continues to be safe from the fire. Still so many people once again losing their homes, it is just so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mereknits, Yes, a safe home is so important. In our area, the firefighters were able to protect all of the houses.

      Delete
  14. Wow, I had no idea it was so close to your adorable cottage. I hope it misses your home. I'm glad you are safe and I wish you and your neighbors well. We don't have those issues here on the east coast. We have lots of heat and humidity and the occasional blizzard but fires are rare. Take care, Bobi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bobi, The fires are a challenge, but California has an amazing climate. It's much colder up in the mountains, and we have snow. It's th hot, dry, windy areas that usually have trouble.

      Delete
  15. I hope that your pink cottage continues to be safe. I have been following the stories about the fires and it just is gut wrenching.

    ReplyDelete