Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Living in the Woods and Hiking

trail head in Autumn

I have noticed that since I've been spending time up at the cabin, it has made me really appreciate life at the pink cottage.  There are so many contrasts.  The climates are totally different.  Up in the mountains, I build a fire in the fireplace, gaze into it, and have a tendency to veg out and read.  When I drive back down to Canyon Country, I get busy cooking, gardening, doing laundry, cleaning, and paying bills.  It gives me a nice balance.  I work at the cottage, and gather wood, hike, play, and relax at the cabin.

stopping for a rest after hiking a mile

Today I picked most of the pomegranates off of my bush.  They were starting to split, so I knew they were ripe.  This harvest has been by far the best in several years.  The fruit is so healthy.  Having the rain last season made all of the difference.  I gave out bags of them to my neighbors.  I have several more  to share with friends up at the cabin.  They seem like the type of people that would really appreciate home grown fruit. 

it's so nice to have land and space

I notice that my knees act up a little in the colder climate.  I'm not sure if it is all of the stairs, the temperature, or the new hikes.  All I know is that when I am back in the warm weather at the cottage, my knees feel fine.  I remember hearing about old people moving from cold states back east to places like Las Vegas, for the warmth.  Now I understand why.  It's interesting how our joints respond to temperature and wetness.  I've been enjoying sitting on the sunny porch while I'm home.  Lula loves to lounge in the backyard, too.  She appreciates the sunshine as much as I do.  She has made it clear that she is eager to hop back into the car and get back up to the mountains, though, too.

I walk down through these trees to the street below, which takes me into town

I remember my mom commenting on how big the kitchen is at the cottage.  It's true.  It's an old fashioned one, and  is ideal for cooking, baking, and soap making.  I can really spread out and be comfortable.  Even though the cottage is tiny, it is very well designed.  The garden feels welcoming and healing, too.  I love sitting out there and admiring the roses, cosmos, zinnias, and sunflowers.  All the hard work has paid off, and it's waiting for me when I arrive.  The gopher plant and amaranth are in bloom, too.  Soon the citrus will be ready to pick.  I am excited about new crop of  Meyer lemons.  It has been years since I've had a successful harvest. I had almost given up on that tree.  I'm so glad that I didn't.   I love that variety; they make the best puddings and cakes.  Are you harvesting anything at your place?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take  a few days to appear; they are moderated manually. 


14 comments:

  1. I have a meyer lemon- I must have given away nearly 15 buckets of them last winter. It is a great variety. At the moment it is spring here, and I have peas coming on, and rainbow chard. The blueberries and tomatoes are fruiting but not ripe yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice, earthmotherwithin. They are such prolific trees. Your garden sounds wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I'm happy to read about how the two homes seem to complement each other. Reminds me of when I was back in Sri Lanka and we had two homes, one in the capital city where we lived during the week and one in my step-father's hometown, where we stayed during the weekend. We used to drive up there (it was in the mountains!) every Friday evening and then, drive back down every Sunday evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do, Bless. Thank you. We used to do the same thing with a house my dad's side of the family owned in Fairfield, CA. The feeling was so different in the country.

      Delete
  3. I suppose going up to the cabin and getting out and about and hiking is like a little adventure.
    I have rheumatoid arthritis and it does play up when its cold and damp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Everyday Life. The altitude and fresh mountain air feel so cold and refreshing, too. That's interesting about the RA.

      Delete
  4. It must be so wonderful to enjoy the benefits of both homes. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a joy, Jules. It really makes me appreciate the positives of each location. There's such a difference between the sun and shade.

      Delete
  5. We have a Meyer lemon in a big pot in the back yard. I am trying to convince Steve to pull off some of the fruit because there are just too many for the small plant. I agree-Meyers are the best for lemon cookies and lemon meringue pie! Only red bell peppers in the garden right now. How lucky you are to have pomegranates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Anita, Oh, yours is in a pot. Mine is in the ground. It's so exciting to see all of that fruit! I wish you lived closer; I could give you some pomegranates. I have oodles...

      Delete
  6. I wish I had a pomegranate tree. I love them. :)
    I'm enjoying passion fruits from the garden. There are more flowers on the vine, so I expect more fruits in the next several weeks.

    It's so nice to read about your cottage and the cabin, and how they compliment each other. Do you plan to grow flowers at the cabin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one produces like mad, Nil. I love passion fruit. I wonder if they can be grown in California. Yes, I plan to grow Hollyhocks at the cabin. I think I will plant apple and pear trees, as well. I've got my eye on some bulbs. I hear tulips and daffodils do very well up there.

      Delete
  7. Your beetle is so cute! Very pretty up in the mountains. Meyer lemons are hard to find due to the short amount of time they are shipped our way. It is so true about joints hurting more in the colder weather. Just from Delaware to Pennsylvania...the cold up here in the mountains makes me ache. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love the beetle.. Tony and I 'beetle spot' when we are out in the car. The most we saw in one day was 12.
    I am hoping to plant a pear tree next year when Spring come back around.

    ReplyDelete