Monday, October 14, 2019

From the Cold to the Sunshine

view of the mountains on our last hike; it feels otherworldly up there


It's been interesting traveling back and forth between the cottage and the cabin.  The weather is SO different!  I wear sun dresses and sandals at the cottage.  The roses and zinnias are still in bloom.  The artichoke plant from last year is coming back to life.  The hanging baskets are colorful with pink geraniums in bloom.  I love sitting out in the sunshine on the porch.


Lula takes herself up to bed early

Meanwhile, back at the cabin,  I have a fire in the fireplace constantly.  I close off the lower living room and kitchen, and the rooms become warm and toasty.  The heat rises, and by the time I go to bed, the bedrooms are also comfortably heated, without turning on the gas heater.  


I went to an interesting seminar on safe hiking at the local hardware store in Wrightwood.  It was excellent information.  I have been carrying a backpack now when I hike.  It's so important to pack identification, warm clothes, water, matches, first aid supplies, your health insurance information, and food.  You just never know what will happen. You can also help other people in need if you run into them along the way.  


Chris, the man who gave the lecture, works in search and rescue.  He told us that many people just go out hiking with nothing, and they end up lost, or in the dark without a compass, map, or knowledge of where they are.  It can happen really quickly this time of year.  Once I got disoriented on a hike in New Mexico.  I had just moved there.  I ended up asking my dog, "Where's the car?"  She hiked straight down the mountain.  I was all confused and turned around in my mind.  In actuality, we were just above my guest house, but I couldn't see it, because the incline was so steep.  What a close call.

Chris told us to have a flashlight,  as well.  The older I get, the more conservative I become.  I also carry pepper spray and a rod iron bar.  Hiking boots with well defined tread make a big difference, too.  I have some snow boots on order.  They're made in Canada, so I'm sure they're excellent quality.  I have a feeling it is going to snow soon.  I can smell it in the air; it reminds me of my childhood in Seattle.  We shall see...

What do you take with you when you walk or hike?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. It may take a few days for comments to appear, as they are moderated.   


16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're loving the cabin and the surrounding area. Great info on hiking. We actually went on a hike today on our vacation but only had our phones with us. It wasn't far from our cottage but it has me thinking now as we do more hikes. Thank you!

    Did you order Sorel boots? That's what all of us wear here when the snow is deep and the air is cold!

    I'm assuming all is well with the fires. I bet that was super scary. Hope you are well.

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chy, Yes, things are much better now, thanks. I'm not sure if the boots are Sorel's. I will let you know. I'm glad you appreciated the hiking information. You just never know when the weather will turn, or something else that's unexpected could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It is, Nil. The seller left lots of extra blankets that are hand crocheted, and very warm. I think they are made out of German wool.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful view of the mountains! Thank you, too, for sharing pictures of your cabin. It looks like a very snug place! Love the photo of Lula settled in bed for the night! Glad you attended the safe hiking lecture and know what you should have on hand when you go out hiking. Especially since you are on your own and not hiking with another person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Yes, it can really make a difference. I like bringing my backpack and supplies. It's a positive feeling to be prepared.

      Delete
  5. Gosh, that is good advice! We usually only need a bottle of water and some sun screen when we go for a walk. Our national parks have well marked trails, and each place has a register for when you go in, so that they check each evening if everyone has left. We don't allow camping in most national parks. There are always people who do the wrong thing and need rescuing, however, especially in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those registers are excellent, earthmotherwithin. I think it depends on the time of year, too. I like how wool keeps the body dry, in case it starts raining.

      Delete
  6. Sweet Lula looks so cosy.
    What senible advice about walking, it is easy to get disoriented and lose your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, a Everyday Life. I try and memorize landmarks as I go.

      Delete
  7. That view is glorious and it looks like Lula has certainly made herself comfortable at the cabin.
    I'm usually as well prepared as I can be when I go hiking - appropriate for the conditions anyway. I've never thought of taking an iron bar, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, until we encountered those loose dogs. The seller left it in the coat closet. They left a golf club, too. A neighbor recommended carrying one.

      Delete
  8. Very smart hiking advice! The cabin looks beautiful! You have the best of both worlds...that is a perfect way to live! So sweet Lula tucking her self into bed...so dear. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tucked her in Andrea. She's so cute. The cabin is beautiful, thank you.

      Delete
  9. Love the pix of Lula. What a personality she has! It is important to have a few essentials when you hike.

    ReplyDelete