Saturday, October 5, 2019

Doing Laundry and Picking Pomegranates



I came back to the cottage to catch up on some chores and writing.  The cabin doesn't have a washer and dryer, so I do my laundry here.  I also have my trash collected at home, rather than paying for it at two different places.  I have so little, because I compost and recycle most of what I use.  This is where I do my blogging, fill my Etsy orders, and catch up with online friends like you.  I also made a fresh batch of nectar for the hummingbirds.   


Yesterday I took my car in to have the oil changed.  I just realized by reading the receipt that I have been having this done twice as often as I need to do.  Next time I will wait for 6,000 miles before servicing.  I paid the owner to show me how to put the snow chains on my tires.  The new style is different than the pair that I had twenty years ago, in Santa Fe.  Next, I need to buy some snow boots and hiking boots.


For the first time in several years, the pomegranates look healthy.  I think last year's rain really helped.  I also fed them compost tea.  They taste delicious, and are ripening more each day.


I fed the roses, and need to feed the citrus trees, as well.  Some nocturnal animal has been picking my navel oranges and leaving them on the ground.  (sigh)  I put some netting up, but I think I need to buy more to cover the tree completely.  These are the blood oranges.  I will spread compost around them next time I am home. I save my fruit and vegetable trimming up at the cabin, and bring them back to the cottage compost pile.  I would attract bears if I composted up in the woods.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  Please allow a few days for moderation.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.   
  

12 comments:

  1. You are having a very good crop of pomegranates! Too bad that some animal has been picking your navel oranges - I suspect a raccoon! Hope they leave you with enough fruit to enjoy some, yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I am waiting to see how ripe I can get them. I love the taste of tree ripened fruit.

      Delete
  2. I grow pomegranates too. They are such a wonderful fruit...what do you do with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi earthmotherwithin, I share them with my neighbors, and eat them as fresh fruit.

      Delete
  3. I bet you have lots of socks to wear with your soon to be purchased snow and hiking boots!!! Animals eating your fruit is so frustrating. We had racoons eating our mandarin oranges a few years ago. That critter would just peel them on the tree, leaving a skin hanging there. GRRRR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, I do. The wool hand knit socks that I have are getting so much use! I am wearing the ones that I gave to my mom, as well. They are all still in excellent shape. That's too funny about your racoons. It must have been frustrating.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you have been very busy. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mereknits, Yes, a good kind of busy. Hope you enjoy your week, too.

      Delete
  5. Your pomegranates look good. 😊

    Isn’t it hard to net the entire citrus tree?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pomegranates look amazing! I find protecting my garden crops from creatures can be tricky sometimes. I have dozens of clusters of blueberries beginning to ripen here and have to find some way to protect them from the very cheeky currawong bird that pinches them as soon as they turn that deep purple-blue (usually the day before I plan to pick them myself.) Last year I netted each bush but sadly a carpet python got caught in one of the nets and so I'm reluctant to catch a snake again! I am looking at options to cover each cluster rather than the whole bush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Meg, that must have been horrible. That's a clever idea to cover each individual cluster.

      Delete