Friday, October 11, 2019

Exploring Your New Town in Retirement



I have been getting to know the new neighborhood  in the past few weeks, and it's exciting.  I think some locations just feel "right" to us.  Whenever I drive into Wrightwood and see all of the trees, I feel like I am home.  I relax, sigh, and my heart opens. We all resonate with   certain places, geographically.  It's difficult and uncomfortable to live in a place where you don't feel that connection.  It's so important to our happiness and well being.

I was excited to post some more photos for you, and then realized that I forgot to bring them with me.  It seems each day I am forgetting something new.  Oh well.  I will post them in the next few days.  This afternoon I went to the Farmers Market.  I can walk there.   I was very impressed with the array of goods and the quality of the produce.

I bought some Wonderful pomegranates, a couple of zucchini, two small melons, and a basket of luscious figs.  The fruit is expensive, so I don't know how often I will shop there.  It is convenient, though.  I also like to support the farmers.  They have to pay for their gas, time, stalls, and all the work that it takes to grow food.  I think I've gotten spoiled by the inexpensive prices at Valley Produce, in Santa Clarita.

I'm looking forward to trying one of the line dancing classes there.  It's held at the Community Center.  There is  also a free movie night.  The hikes and walks have been amazing.  I just love wandering through our neighborhood, and admiring all of the cabins.  They make my heart sing.

I got a post office box at the post office, and met some very friendly people there.  Everyone I ask seems to really enjoy living there.  It's different than Los Angeles, which is almost always warm and sunny. Many people move back after leaving.  It's a slower paced way of life.  We all love Winter and the snow.

I went out for dinner at a lovely restaurant that the seller recommended.  It had such an elegant atmosphere.  Some of the customers looked like skiers. Outdoorsy types are so healthy looking.  They all have rosy cheeks and big smiles.  They seem energized by nature and their auras are radiant.  I love it!  Do you feel at home where you live?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear, as they are moderated.

    

4 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying reading about how you are settling into your new home and surroundings. Do you see yourself moving there full time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I love it up there, but also like going back and forth to the cottage. I have an orchard and garden here that I need to feed and water. Plus, I just love the atmosphere of this little home.

      Delete
  2. Your new neighborhood sounds wonderful! And you have the best of both worlds with your other home also. We have a post office box also. It makes it confusing as we pick up our mail at our small post office but then we have to give our home address (physical address) if we order anything from ground delivery like ups or fedex. I'm anxious to see your winter photos...do you get snow up there? We live in a lake community and they have all kinds of activities. The average age in my community is 40-something yet we seem to meet a lot of retired people! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Yes, we get snow. I am excited about it, too. Your community sounds wonderful. I love all of the locals I'm meeting up in the mountains. My kind of people...

      Delete