Thursday, October 17, 2019

Fall Flowers and Homegrown Fruit

Best Kept Secret is a fragrant rose that is a blushed pink and is  mildew resistant


Today I delivered several bags of homegrown pomegranates to my neighbors.  Everyone was so appreciative. It was fun to chat with people and catch up on their lives.  Riding the bike in the sunshine was such a pleasure.   I'm inspired to plant more fruit trees.  It's amazing how much fruit one standard tree can provide.  I'm so glad that I didn't give up on this tree during the drought.  The fruit was tiny and deformed for years.  This year, it's excellent.  The rain and extra water made all of the difference.   

I planted this Bougainvillea along the driveway  

 I was thrilled to see that the Bougainvillea has finally flowered.  I love the color; I was actually afraid that it was dead.  Still, I continued to water and mulch it, and it is finally looking healthy and happy.  This plant is drought tolerant, and doesn't need a lot of care. I am hoping it will get huge.  I plan to put lots of it around the cottage.  I think it will look beautiful and am pleased that it will be able to stand the hot summers that we get in Canyon Country.  I hope it gets stronger and larger.  



I got some hand laundry done while I was home.  I knit the socks and hat.  The cashmere sweater I bought on sale twenty years ago.  It's still so warm and soft.  I can usually find these on clearance at T.J. Maxx in January or February.  This one was $25.00.  It washes up to beautifully.  What have you been doing around your home?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear.  They are moderated.  

16 comments:

  1. Bags of pomegranates! That is incredible. They don't grow here so are a treasured treat. How generous of you to share. I bet you made many smiles:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too, Lady Locust. I plan to freeze some of the seeds, as well. Everyone was really enthusiastic about how flavorful and sweet they were. It was a satisfying feeling to finally have a successful harvest again.

      Delete
  2. One fruit tree can supply so many people. I think I gave lemons away to half my suburb this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, earthmotherwithin. Isn't it amazing? My neighbor gave me a huge bag of Meyer lemons last year, and I used every single one. It looks like this year my tree will do well, thank goodness!

      Delete
  3. That rose is beautiful. Bougainvillea does grow big. I remember my parents had one that climbed up a mango tree!
    If this is the type with thorns, be careful. Sometimes you can accidentally step on fallen ones. I too like to have a couple of bougainvillea plants because they grow well here.

    I just finished weekly cleaning, and made and had dinner. Now it’s time to relax a bit. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I adore my roses. They are doing so well. Congratulations on finishing your cleaning. Enjoy your relaxation.

      Delete
  4. That is a beautiful rose! I'm glad you had such a bountiful pomegranate harvest! My tree is not doing so well. All the flowers fell off when we had an early heatwave and I only have a couple of small fruits, this year. I should probably feed it, next year (and water it a bit more!). Bougainvillea is very hardy, once established. My next door neighbor has a purple flowered one.

    That cashmere sweater was a good buy! But, I love those socks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I'm sorry to hear that your tree is not doing well. I give mine compost once a year, and it likes the leaves underneath it as mulch. Glad you like the socks. I love the Austermann yarn. It's so warm and thick.

      Delete
  5. Bougainvillea grows really well in our area too, Stephenie. I love all the different, vibrant colours it comes in. I don't have any growing here but there is lots around the neighbourhood.

    Today, I have just been pottering around home. Simple chores like washing, sweeping and baking ready for the weekend. I opened up all the french doors along the front of our house and enjoyed the gentle breeze coming through.
    Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, I love all the different colors available, too. I like that it's drought tolerant and low maintenance.

      Delete
  6. good luck with the bougainvilleas; not my favourite plant, too many thorns, i'd rather jasmine or something (they don't grow here either lol) i got given some fig trees from my neighbour will plant them down near the chook pen (designated orchard) i have been buying up a few fruit trees of late to get my orchard started, now that the chook pen is fully finished i can get on to it.
    my eldest loves pomegranates, not keen on them myself but i bought some for her, to be planted & some to stay in pots.
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bougainvilleas and pomegranates. I feel so lucky to have them.

      Delete
  7. Yesterday Steve and I finally finished turning over the soil and arranging the winter vegetable garden. He planted spinach and 4 types of lettuce seeds. I will plant some radishes once I buy some fresh seeds. My old seeds are past their prime being 4 years old now. In the house-this is the time of year for serious cleaning in preparation for the holidays. I actually have a list of chores from wiping down the ceiling fans, wiping the shutters, polishing silver, dusting drapes, etc. that must be done before Thanksgiving. I feel my dear mother on my shoulder as I do all these chores. I actually kind of enjoy this part of getting ready for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Anita. You sound like an excellent housekeeper. I bet your mom is proud of you and your homemaking skills. The garden sounds great!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful. I love the work you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Akasha. It is rewarding. (especially now that I spend so much time in the mountains.)

      Delete