Monday, October 28, 2019

More Fires



Hi Everyone,

I just logged on to the Internet at the library up at the cabin.  I was shocked to see how bad the fire in Sonoma is.  There is also a new one, near the 405 freeway.  Yikes!  My cottage is about fifteen miles from the latest fire.  The wind is what makes it so dangerous.  My friend in Australia also posted photos of horrific fires there.

My neighbors said that things had calmed down a couple of days ago.  The roads had reopened, and people were going to Trader Joe's and Stater Brothers, stocking up on staples and groceries.  We weren't  sure how long it would last, though.  They told me that the air is like an ashtray or bbq, and recommended that I just stay up here in the mountains.

I feel safer up here, but am still going to pack a bag, and keep in touch with what's happening, just in case.

Lula and I took an amazing hike on the Pacific Crest Trail this morning.  I stumbled onto an incredible campsite.  I sat at picnic tables there and had a tuna sandwich and some fruit.  Lula munched on dog biscuits.

I hope everyone in California and Oz has a safe place to go.  I plan to call my neighbors again and see how things are going.  I was planning to return today, but have decided to stay put.  I appreciate your concern, and hope that you all are doing well.  I will try to get to your blogs soon.  I have had a lot of messages to answer from friends.  I'm sorry for the delay.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  They may take a few days to appear, as they are moderated.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.   

18 comments:

  1. Stay where you are safe, Stephenie. I can't imagine how scary it must be. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, It feels very comforting and safe up at the cabin. Thanks Jules.

      Delete
  2. Stephenie, I'm so glad to see this post.
    I hope you have enough water and food in the cabin. Hopefully everyone can go back to their homes soon. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I've been really stocking up for the winter. My mom taught me to stockpile. I have also been filling up extra pitchers of water.

      Delete
  3. Stay where you are until things are safe! I am so glad you have a haven to retreat to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, earthmotherwithin. It is a lovely place, and I am very fortunate.

      Delete
  4. How frightening for the fires to be so close to the cottage. I do hope all is well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pensive Pensioner, The firefighters did an excellent job. It is such a relief when your home is safe after something like this; hopefully all will be well.

      Delete
  5. Glad to read that you are staying up in the mountains, still, and are safe from the fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I came back to do some cleanup. It is a relief to finally have cell phone service here again. I couldn't get a signal for weeks. Agua Dulce has no power or water. We are fortunate.

      Delete
  6. No need to reply. Just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and blessings. Please stay safe, take care and update when you can. X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chy. All is well, for now. There was another fire this morning at the Newhall Pass. That is just several miles from here. Things seem much calmer now, though. I am doing chores and cleaning everything up in the yard.

      Delete
  7. I don't know if you already know about the site, but inciweb has the fires and current status. I have family members who fight fires and this is the site we watch to see how they are doing when we can't call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust. There are some very helpful websites out there. Preparation has really helped. I am so grateful that I have a stockpile and Suze Orman's box for your documents and paperwork.

      Delete
  8. I have heard about this, so scary abd sad, hope everything will be better soon ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for commenting, natalia. Things seem much better in this area.

      Delete
  9. The latest fires are just horrible. I am glad to read you and Lula are still doing well and your cottage is in one piece. I remember from our fires in 2007 that it took a long time for the smoky air to clear. Stay safe and keep us all posted with updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. The cottage is looking sweet and cozy. I just need to finish cleaning up the front garden. There are lots of leaves falling, so I will rake them all up, neatly.

      Delete